Monday, October 10, 2016

Encourage Ourselves

                                            
                                                A good place to enjoy myself



 The holiday season is almost ready to arrive. Actually I had forgotten here in the great USA it is Columbus Day! I know some places don’t recognize it as such any more. Although in school I remember hearing about Christopher Columbus discovering America even though he didn’t know where he was at. We all know that was really not the true history but the reason I am writing today about encouraging ourselves is that the holiday season isn’t the happiest time of the year for everyone. I know from experience that I have to deal with the whole family feeling about the holidays.

When I was kid I loved Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas however it is not the same anymore for me. I don’t have any kids of my own and most of the kids in the area don’t stop for candy. Last year Halloween was real nice because my sister Barb was here for a visit. She lives in Quebec Canada so I haven’t seen here often during the holidays and my brother Jack lives on the east coast of USA. I have visited both of them over the years on occasions. While the USA celebrates Columbus Day or not in Canada they have their Thanksgiving. Here our Thanksgiving is on the last Thursday of November. Outside of my sister and brother along with their families almost everyone I spent the holidays with growing up are all gone. So the holidays don’t have the same joy it once did. I know that others are going through the same thing as I am. I know for some this may be the first year a loved one is no longer here to celebrate the holidays. They passed on in the last year. In some instances they may have gone away right around the holidays.

I am not here writing about getting sympathy because it is what it is. Most of my loved ones have been gone for some time and I can’t expect my sister or brother be here for the holidays. I know in holiday pasts that I have experienced depression and be in a dark place.  Something I would not want anyone to go through. So what do we do for ourselves this holiday season coming up? The answer I have figured out is that I must encourage myself. Letting me know that I can make it through this season though the situation is not what I really want it to be. I hope the holiday season will be different in years to come by meeting the right person. Also to remember those holidays that I enjoyed so much especially as a kid; when someone ask how I am doing telling them the truth instead of saying Ok or I am fine.

Although it would be nice to be invited somewhere during the holidays the truth still it isn’t the same anymore and that can be OK as well. Of course I can always see about inviting someone over to my place as well. In the end of the day I feel it is important to encourage me and that I will make it through this season without going into the dark place that I know so well. So if you are in the same place as I am go all out and encourage yourself. In the end what do you have to lose. It can’t be really be worse than spending time in the dark place. It is early to say so but the stores always start selling earlier every year so have a good holiday season. I hope this makes you feel better it certainly does me.  


No comments:

Post a Comment