Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Election Day


Here in the United States Election Day November 8 2016 has finally arrived. Not only we vote for the President of the United States there are other offices and issues to do so as well.

Every state has their own way of voting. Many  states still have where you go to a location near where you live and go into a voting booth to cast your votes. In Washington State where I live we do it different than many other states. We vote by mail only. I received a ballot in the mail on Oct. 21 and have until Nov. 8 to cast my vote. I did my voting about a week or so ago. You can return the ballot by mail or there is a box in every city or area where you can put your ballot. I put my ballot in the box to be sure that mine would be counted. The box is in a location that I go by frequently so it really wasn’t hard for me.

Besides voting for President we had to vote in Washington State for governor, a senator, judges and many initiatives. It would have taken a lot of time if I had to go to a booth to vote. Most likely I would have had to wait a couple hours in line to vote so this was a good way to vote. I like our system in Washington State because it not only allows us to vote in our own privacy and time the cost of voting is a lot less as well. The cost of a voting booth can be quite expensive while a ballot in the mail only cost a few cents. Of course there are those who have to count the ballots but I still believe it saves money.

Just let you know that I didn’t vote for either of the two major candidates. I know that there are a lot of people who will say that I wasted my vote which may be true but I did vote my conscience though. This is the most controversy election on record. I believe most people voted for what is being called “less of two evils”. The reason I didn’t vote for either one. Many of those I have talked to vote for the issues and not the candidate. I can understand why they did so however I could not do so myself. I believe there are so many people that voted this way of “less of two evils” that things could be a lot different if they voted for a third candidate or a write in. All those who truly did not want either candidate should have gotten together in different locations throughout the country and discussed who they thought would be a viable candidate; this could have changed the election all away around. Though it did not happen for this election I would not be surprised if another large party materializes for the next election in 2020. There is a lot people could have done this time around if they rallied together.

Although I know my candidate won’t likely win though I thought she was better than the two major candidates. It would take a miracle for sure if she got in. There would have to be a lot of voters thinking the same way I have. At least I know that I have voted with a clear conscience and whatever happens the next four years I know that I didn’t vote for them. I am sure people thought I sold out however I could say the same for them. If these next four years are the worst in country history I promise not to say “I told you so”.  The great thing though is that we are all better and bigger than whoever becomes President so we will still be OK regardless what happens! So happy Election Day to everyone; even those of you who are elsewhere in the world and don’t have to vote.  

No comments:

Post a Comment