Thursday, January 12, 2017

Growing Up With Cats

               
                                              Not one of our cats but looked like one



I have mentioned before that I don’t always remember childhood memories very well like some people. Usually it happens during conversation.

I do remember growing up with cats. We had several sets of cats over the years. We always had at least two cats and up to three cats.

My mother told some friends of hers last week had three cats so each would be able to set on her three sons. I think that is about right.

When I was in high school we had two white and black cats that were brother and sister so they were named Cesar and Cleopatra. Makes sense doesn’t it. We had a brown cat that was Russian and was name Mushca. Mother said that means little mouse which made sense for her.

I have to tell you a funny story about Mushca. One year my parents decided to let her have babies. The only female cat we allowed to have kittens. She was the less likely one to be a good mother what we found out anyway.

When she decided to have her babies she did so on my bed. The first few were when I was sleeping. The funny part was when I woke up she was having another on my bed right in front of my face. Talk about a shock. At that point she moved all the kittens into my closet for the rest of the night.

The next day she had all of them on my bed and would not let me in. How could I let a cat have so much power over me? After a week I decided that was enough and I moved her along with the kittens out of my room. She made her way to one of the couches in the living room. That was funny because there was a hole in the back of the couch and she would put the kittens in and they would fall out the other end. She was very perplexed why she continually had to put the kittens back there. Since I did feel responsible in a way I moved her somewhere else to help her. We ended up giving away most of the kittens and keeping only one. Stories like that are easier to remember for sure.

After Mushca, Cesar and Cleopatra finally died which was sad for sure mother and dad just had one cat living with them. At that point I was living on my own and so were my brothers. My younger brother Jack though has kept up the tradition of having cats. They have two cats right now and have had them for many years. Also they have a dog. We never had a dog at least not since I was four years old anyway.

So this is my cat story for now. We had cats before those three as well. So I am sure I will remember stories about them too. Maybe Jack will remind me.


No comments:

Post a Comment