Monday, March 13, 2017

My Memories


We all have good and bad memories over the years. They can be about us growing up along with some in our adulthood as well.

All the memories have made who we are today. The importance is what we have made with them.

For some the memories have been more bad than good. Often they show us how we think of ourselves.  We are not chosen what family we are born into and for some it can be really bad.  I had some not so good times growing up however the good did out do the bad.

I don’t remember most of the bad times anymore. I have forgiven those who made the bad times in my childhood. That has helped to forget those bad times.

I am glad that I am able to think more about the good times growing up. It is good to have memories of my brothers and sister along with those who I call my friends.

My younger brother and I talk on the phone almost every Saturday. We mostly talk about what is happening right now however we do get into our childhood once in a while.

Growing up in a small town of Gig Harbor, Washington I find to be a good experience. The area has grown about three times as much so the children now don’t know everyone as much as we did in our day. We had several elementary schools however only one junior high school and high school. This meant that we knew each other for a long time except the few that moved in and out in those years. There were half dozen that I grew up with from kindergarten all the way through high school and many others that I started in first grade with. I figure there were at least forty students  that I knew that whole period not counting those who were older or younger as well.

I don’t see most of the classmates anymore that I grew up with though there are some that I communicate with on social media. There are some that still live in the area so once in a while I will see several when grocery shopping, eating out or going to the coffee shop.

Although I don’t see many on a regular basis I find it very special when I do see them. They are very special to me because I am who that I have become.

The good and bad made me know that I have a purpose and destiny in this life. To encourage those of all ages that went through similar experiences as I have.

Most of my memories I only remember bits and pieces most of the time. I only think of them to help me out and give positive meaning to my life.

Today the kids have more to do than when I was a child. I would not trade today for my childhood at all. I didn’t have video games, smart phones, computers or any other technology of today but I was able to enjoy the outdoors a whole lot. I would play baseball, football and basketball along with an occasion doing tennis. It was fun go to the neighborhood park that was about a mile away to play games with my classmates.

In those days we didn’t worry so much about bad people being around that could take advantage of us like now. I see parents who wait with their children for the buses to take them to school. In my day we waited for the bus on our own or we were dropped off at school. I see more children being dropped off at school now than in my day.

It is harder to know the children at school these days except those who live in your neighborhood. Even Gig Harbor has more schools than when I was growing up.  I take what I learned from those days to apply to my life today and hope to help others whether close or far.

If you are a parent be involved in your children’s lives. Give them reassurance all the time. Though they may know that you love them show them as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment