Monday, May 22, 2017

Rain or Shine


                                             A rainy day in the Pacific Northwest


                                           A sunny day in the Pacific Northwest



This year we have had more rain in the Pacific Northwest than any year. Our rainfall is right now where it would be at the first of October. Our normal rainfall from May until October is five inches so that is about the difference. Other words we have five more inches of rain. This can change depending on the rainfall between now and October.

This weekend we had temperatures in the seventies and supposed to reach eighty on Monday though supposed to cool down for a couple days into the sixties and then back to the seventies. It may reach eighty a couple times too. Many areas that have spring weather like this  however here it is more like summer so we are having temperatures that you would see in July and October though we have had temperatures like this before.

I know that everyone here in the Pacific Northwest is really glad to see the weather turn to sunny skies after having so many rainy days from last October until now.

The whole thing about the weather it can affect us physically, psychologically and spiritually. I am fortunate not to have allergies however I know a lot of people here that deal with them during the spring time especially however can happen during the winter as well. It can be unusual because I know those who have allergies when it is raining while others have them when it is sunny. My Aunt Marion when she moved to Los Angeles and then to Las Vegas didn’t have the allergies like when she lived here; the dry heat kept her feeling better.

Another thing speaking to my physical therapist she told me that more people have trouble with their backs around here in the winter. This year is the first time I have had trouble with my back. It will be interesting how much better it will feel during the summer with the temperatures being warmer. I am stretching everyday along with exercises three times a week so I know my back is getting healthier. Next winter will be more of a telling story since I will continue stretching and exercising.

When it comes to psychology I do find people very depressed during the rainy season. I have known people who have moved to other parts of the country or spend winters in Southern California or Arizona. This is a great place to live May through September however October through April is a challenge for sure. During late spring and summer the temperatures usually run in the seventies and eighties. Not often does it get into the nineties which I am very thankful for. Last couple years we have had higher temperatures than I have ever remembered. With an unusual winter this year it will be interesting to see how it works this summer. At least this week we will enjoy the nice weather.

Spiritually I believe works a lot like both physical and psychology. I believe a lot of people here in the Pacific Northwest live in dark spiritual lives to. The depression that comes on people because of the weather in the winter is a spiritual phenomenon as well. I have heard in church on a number of occasions the physical comes and then the spiritual. They can go hand in hand very easily.

So when it comes to encouraging people it is important to know all three areas with the physical, psychology and spiritual. During the raining season encouraging others here is more important than during the summer though we can’t loosen up any time of the year. It is important that others realize that we are for them regardless the time of the year.

I am sure if you come for a visit here to the Pacific Northwest you will see more smiling faces now. God bless you and have a wonderful week.

No comments:

Post a Comment