Thursday, June 22, 2017

Finding It Again


When growing up life feels like an adventure and often as adults we lose the adventure at some point. Some find it again because they have children of their own and with their grandchildren too.

Often as an adult we get wrapped up in our job or career. We can become very busy so adventure becomes secondary in our lives. Some don’t lose the adventure because of their interests and hobbies while everyone else has to discover it once again.

Adventure I find because we are discovering new things or the return of old things. Children make life an adventure because they are discovering new things all the time. It can be what they find or what they have been told or learn. Adventure can be going back in our memories from years past as well.

When I am watching the Seattle Mariners baseball team on television one of the announcers mentions some player from a long time ago. I find it interesting because many times these players are those that I saw on baseball cards. They were well-known names in some cases while other times players that few ever remember again. I used to read the backside of the baseball card to see which hand they threw the baseball with and what side they hit the ball whether right or left handed. Also I wanted to know where they grew up at as well. Of course now with the internet you can find that information easily.

This brings me back to a memory I had of a fellow kid who I played baseball against in little league and he played on the high school team as well. What was unusual about this kid is that he was left handed and he played shortstop. We were always told that left handed throwers could play first base, the outfield and pitch but could not play second, third or shortstop. This kid’s name was Joe and he was a very good athlete. I played basketball with him as well. He was a good basketball player as well. He wanted to play shortstop though he was left handed. He didn’t care whether he wasn’t supposed to or not. He didn’t care that he was unconventional and he wanted to play the most important position in the infield so he did. He probably would not have been able to play shortstop if he was average or below however Joe was an exceptional defensive shortstop. I enjoyed watching him play shortstop though he made plays in a manner that no other shortstop did. This was one of my favorite memories of growing up and I would call it an adventure as well.

Today I try to do as much as possible that I would call an adventure. Doing something new or learn about something I haven’t before or tried something I haven’t before either. We should all return to finding what we lost at some point in life. What is life like if we don’t live it as an adventure? Something we all should think about.   

No comments:

Post a Comment