Sunday, June 25, 2017

It’s Windy!







                                            Pictures I couldn't resist



This winter and spring we had record rainfall here in the Pacific Northwest. It matched what we normally get by October 1 though we don’t get a lot during the summer however it felt like we have had a lot of wind as well.

In fact so much wind that even when it hasn’t rained I have felt it windy when I am out walking in the mornings. Also in the afternoons when I make errands or I take my mother to doctor appointments I have felt the wind as well.

Most people don’t use umbrellas around here when it rains. Usually those who do are not natives to the area. Actually a lot of people don’t wear rain jackets either although I do. I find that strange though when it is a downpour. When I come out of the grocery store I see people not concerned about the rain when it is pouring.

The wind is the primary reason I don’t use an umbrella. Most of the time when it is raining it is windy as well and the umbrella just gets in the way. In fact I feel that I would be like Mary Poppins and fly away with the umbrella.

I grew up on the waterfront where we had wind a lot however it feels like more wind this year than I have every felt before. It could be that I was so used to it when I grew up on the waterfront while now where I live the wind isn’t a regular occurrence.

I do hope that the wind will continue throughout the summer so I will feel cooler that way. I have heard the temperatures are supposed to be more normal this year than the last couple years where it was more in the 90s than I ever remember before. A normal year the temperatures usually are in the upper 70s to mid-80s. Until recently the 90s were not even thought of really ever happening. Already today it is supposed to hit the 90s or at least the upper 80s for the second day in a row. The temperatures are supposed go down into the 70s during this week though. I will feel much better that way.

Another thing happened while I was growing up my mother always made sure that I always wore a shirt and had suntan lotion on because she felt that I would get sunburn. Being fair skinned the possibility being sunburned was going to happen without the suntan lotion. I know that I rarely ever got sunburned unlike other children. Today I only put on suntan or sunscreen on occasionally. I do watch how much time I spend in the sun and usually when I am walking or sitting for that matter I am wearing a baseball cap.

So the winds keep doing your thing so I will feel cooler that way and I am refreshed. The wind is my friend unless it is raining at the same time. I will be going out for my morning walk soon so wind come and get me.














No comments:

Post a Comment