Monday, August 7, 2017

Taking a Cold Shower





This week with record hot temperatures in the northwest reminded me so much about taking cold showers. We have had so many straight days without rain. In fact today ties the record of 51 days in a row without rain and likely will be broken tomorrow.

I did take a few cold showers this week however I had to start off with hot water and then add cold water. Last night I started out with cold water and it was chilling. I added in hot water but that didn’t help that much. So I recommend if you want to do a cold shower start out with hot.

This reminds me to the times as a kid going swimming in cold lakes and other locals. I grew up on the waterfront of east Gig Harbor where we had our own dock. A few small boats were tied up on the dock and there were times I went fishing off the dock as well. The water of Gig Harbor was quite cold even in the middle of summer. My brother Jack and cousin Judy would go swimming often there and I thought they were nuts. If the weather was hot like we had this week I would jump in hopefully not thinking about how cold the water is. I would scream and then get out as quickly as possible.

Whenever our family would go to Twanoh State Park on the Hood Canal I would take my time walking in slowly to go swimming. It did take a little while to get used to. It was warmer than Gig Harbor. There were times where I ran into the water hoping that would help getting used to the water faster. Not usually just screaming would happen. In those instances I would swim out to the dock and lay for a little while before deciding to swim back to shore.

Even swimming pools that have warm water I always found it takes a little while to get used to it as well. Our bodies take time to adjust because of our body temperature compared to the water temperature. Something I don’t really think about though.

So whether you swim or take a cold shower remember time for your body to adjust. Good way to deal with being hot however can be shocking to your system. Another wonderful part of life and have yourself a good week.


No comments:

Post a Comment