Monday, February 19, 2018

President’s Day


                                            George Washington and Abraham Lincoln


I thought writing about something else which I will get to tomorrow since today is President’s Day here in the USA.

When I was growing up we had two holidays in February celebrating George Washington our first president and then Abraham Lincoln. Now they seem to roll it up into one.

I liked the fact we got two days off from school. I wasn’t a big fan of school so any holidays were good no matter when they happen. At least where I live the schools take a whole week off for President’s Day. Not a bad idea and then again another week off in April just after Easter. The only problem though the schools get out later at the end of school year so the summer is shorter. I like the fact that summer was two and half months long where now it is more like two months.

Anyway now it nice to be able to honor these two presidents of the United States; I am not sure whether anyone else does but it is nice to remember the other past presidents as well.

I am sure other countries celebrate the leaders of their countries past and president whether they are President or whatever other title it is.

A couple stories about George Washington which I am sure neither is true were that he never told a lie and he chopped down a cherry tree. If you want to know more about either I would do a google search.

It was some time ago now however the one time I visited Washington D.C.  I went to George Washington’s home in Mount Vernon Virginia. It is only about ten miles away from D.C.  Now that my brother lives in that area I look forward to visiting there once again. What I remember most is that he had a lot fire places in the house. In those days of course they had to have fire places to keep the home warm during those tough winter days.  I actually took a tourist bus around the area so I saw other sites as well like the Arlington cemetery. If you are not familiar with it this is where a lot of military men who died in battles are buried.

There were other nice sites to and since it is to member Abraham Lincoln as well I saw Lincoln Memorial which is in Washington D.C.  A must to see when going to the Country’s capital; good day and many blessings to you.  


No comments:

Post a Comment