Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Boxing Day




I am sure those who live in Canada and England are familiar with Boxing Day. I only know a small part of the history of Boxing Day. My mother was born and raised in Alberta, Canada so she always had a dinner where she invited friends in.

Last night talking with my brother Jack over the phone about his Christmas he asked about whether Mom and I were doing something for Boxing Day; 

I told him that she had her last Boxing Day dinner in her 90th year. She physically could no longer put on the dinner. She usually invited four couples over for dinner which included spiced beef.

I believe most of the couples she invited for Boxing Day dinner are no longer alive. I am sure though if she could the tradition would go on. I suggested when she decided not to do another dinner for her to continue doing so by having those she invited to bring dishes but she didn’t want to do so. For so many years she did all the cooking. By the way, she was a wonderful cook.


I sure hope others who celebrate Boxing Day do it in the same spirit and dedication my mother did for all those years. In the end, this is what our purpose in life should look like. We put 100 percent into it. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment