Saturday, July 27, 2019

Looking Back On a Popular Post


One of my most popular posts was called “Pressing On”. I figured it would be good to look back on it. At the time I didn’t know a better title so still go with it. The date was July 24, 2015.

These days people seem so much busier than when I was growing up. I am not sure has to do with technology or how people have evolved over the years.

My dad had his business so he put in a lot of hours at work; however, when he got home he wanted to relax and spend time with the family. It was an important priority to him. Now there are more things to do today even around the house. You are either on the computer like I am right now or on your smartphone checking emails, texting or watching videos.

When I was growing up there was no home computer or smartphone. Last night in the small group of men I meet with twice a month one mentioned his grandchildren wanted to know what did without a smartphone or computer. What did you do in the car without a phone? No calling or texting?

This is why we are so busy in many accounts because everyone is distracted by all the technical gadgets we have now. I thought life was grand growing up in my time though I did have personal issues in school with other kids. Growing up in a smaller Gig Harbor was a good time.

Growing up I was able to do almost anything I wanted to do. If you saw my house you would think I was spoiled, and you are probably right. When I wasn’t in school I would spend most of my time with best friend Gary or my other best friend Bob. Thinking about it I didn’t spend much time together with them both. I spent more time with Gary because he lived a little closer to me than Bob. Usually one or the other would call me to come over; neither one around than with my brothers or other kids in the neighborhood.

Often I would spend time in the city park playing either baseball or football. My brothers and I would play tennis unless it rained then it was playing board games or cards.

 When I went out I told my parents where I was going and didn’t have to be tracked by an app. So what I am saying besides slowing down and smell the roses it is easy to be distracted away from the things that should be important to us. So this is where pressing on comes in on the scene. We must spend the time and energy on in everything actually should be important to us like family and friends. Also, we all have a purpose and destiny in our lives; we should spend as much time doing those things than the time on the computer and smartphone. They have a purpose and need as well but we can’t be distracted by them. They have a purpose and need as well but we can’t let them be a distraction.

It would be nice to go back to the simple days. I hope you enjoyed reading this and have a wonderful weekend.





No comments:

Post a Comment