Saturday, September 7, 2019

Memories of Seattle




Growing up in Gig Harbor, Washington thirty-five miles south and west of Seattle it was always a big deal to go to the big city.

In those days most people in Seattle didn’t know where Gig Harbor was. In fact, nearby Tacoma many didn’t know of Gig Harbor. I am surprised now when Gig Harbor is mentioned during the weather forecast on TV.

Gig Harbor is at least twice as big now as when I was growing up. It is still a small town just not as small.

We used to go to Seattle at least once a year because we had relatives in the city. I always felt Seattle was in another country. Even today I feel that way.

The Space Needle has been the main landmark though there is the Smith Tower as well.  The first time I remember going up the elevator in the Space Needle. A very uneasy feeling since I wasn’t good with heights.  The observation at the top wasn’t easy to deal with either. When arriving at the top it was good seeing places near and far. You can see Mt. Rainier to the south and east, Bremerton to the west, and the San Juan Islands to the north.

We had relatives in Bellingham, Washington which is near the Canadian border, and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. I always enjoyed the drive back going into Seattle. Often I would sleep on the way; however, I made sure my parents would wake me up before getting to Seattle. At night, it was a spectacular sight seeing Seattle all lighted up. Something I have never forgotten.




No comments:

Post a Comment