Friday, December 20, 2019

Prevention

On Thursday afternoon my mother fell backward going down the stairs returning home from an appointment. I called 911 where the fire department medics took her to the hospital to be sure she was OK.

Mother had a bruise on her right leg with a cut on her head. They did an x-ray on her leg while an MRI on her head. Nothing found wrong on both so was sent home.

Going down the stairs the second time she was terrified which I understood but she did make it down without further altercation. Whew is what I can say for sure.

I asked the medics and the medical staff if there was anything I could have done to prevent mother from falling. I was standing in front of her. They said I did the right thing that I can’t always prevent a fall.

Mother was going down the stairs with her cane when she fell. I felt it could be a reason she fell so on the second occasion I didn’t use the cane. Now the cane is retired at least as far as using the stairs go.

I mention this because we can’t always prevent something from happening so we can’t feel guilty about it either. The whole thing about our life purpose is to be there for others doing the best prevention we can. Amen!



No comments:

Post a Comment