Tuesday, August 24, 2021

Who Inspires You

While I was out walking on Monday
the word inspiration came to my mind.
So who over your life has inspired you.

In our early life it is either our mother
or father who inspire us. Outside of
them my favorite sport figure as a
youngster was Willie Mays the best
baseball player ever lived or at least
in my lifetime anyway.

Boy could Willie hit with power and
run like the wind. Speaking of wind
he likely would have had more home
runs then Babe Ruth because he lost
some while playing in Candlestick
Park in San Francisco.

What excited me most was watching
Willie play defense. Oh did he take
away hits with his basket catch. The
only player who did it.  Often Willie
would run after balls by turning around
and catch the ball. He didn't always 
turn back around again either. Willie
knew where  the ball was at all time.

Willie inspired me to be the best I
could be. As a youngster I wasn't
a very good reader, however, I 
read a book about my hero Willie
Mays. The best part were the photos
in the book. The book talked about
Willie being a black man and how
he came from a very poor family
in the south. What a guy in my
book.

Living in the Seattle  area I was fortunate
to see Ken Griffey Jr. play for the Mariners.
He came the closest to being like Willie.
Junior as he was called did many of the
same things as Willie except not the basket
catch.

Enjoying other sports there were players
that I admired and inspired me as well.
I am sure you can look back at those who
inspired you too. 



No comments:

Post a Comment