Tuesday, November 12, 2013

My DAD Part One


To write about my dad I realized that it will take more than one post to the blog to give everyone an idea who he was so.

The beginning his name was Herbert Nightingale as well. I am not a junior because my middle name is different.  He went by Bert   instead of Herb.  He was born in Seattle on February2, 1916. It was always a standing joke that he was born on Groundhogs Day. Obviously we could remember his birthday because of it. Another day, when we became teenagers found out my parents were married on Halloween in 1952. We figured it explained a lot. Jokingly! They didn’t realize when they were married it would be difficult to celebrate their anniversary since they had to take us trick or treat.

My dad was much different than myself. I would call him the strong silent type. He spoke few words; however, we would get the point especially if he was not happy with us. Also, he was very smart as well. On the other hand I spoke whenever I wanted which got me in trouble sometimes especially at school. He was the youngest of four children; having two older sisters and an older brother.  His brother Bill and he had the love of sailboats. Whenever our families got together, they would continue talking about boats. The joke was they would pick up where they left off even if it was six months later. They grew up in Tacoma, and he graduated from Stadium High School which is the oldest school in the city.  In the summer, and the weekends they would come out to Gig Harbor. My grandparents had a cabin on the eastside of the harbor which later was expanded into a home after I was born. It was in Gig Harbor where Bert and Bill fell in love with sailing. My mother says she believes it was happiest of times because my father didn’t speak much about his childhood otherwise. My grandparents had a place also in East Bremerton.  My dad would tell us about trips to Bremerton as well, but we know Gig Harbor was very special to him especially in raising his family. Also, he was a member of the Gig Harbor Yacht Club. Though it really didn’t seem to fit him he was the Commodore for one year. After he died, which I will get more into in another post the Yacht Club has named the Sailor of the Year award after him.

Continue more next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment