Wednesday, July 2, 2014

It’s Hot


July started out as a bang with a hot day in the low 90s. Unlike many places it is not common to have the temperatures in 90s during the summer. I could imagine what the temperatures were everywhere else in the USA since we generally have the lowest temperatures. The rest of the week it will be in the mid to upper 70s which is what the temperatures generally are in the summer time here.

I don’t remember the temperatures getting into the 90s as a kid either. I would say I likely would not have survived childhood if it did. Being very fair skinned I had to wear sun tan lotion on a regular basis. I had to be careful not to get sunburned. I feel very thankful now because I should not have to worry about skin cancer.  I am sure the young people would like to continue be in the 90s, however, the rest of us are fine being the 70s. The importance to me is the sun will still be out.

Since sport is mention in the title of the blog I will speak about them now. Growing up my older and younger brother were very smart. In fact, my older was so smart that my younger was always compared with him as well. I really had to find my own way, and it was in sports. Though I tried not to compare myself with my brothers other kids especially sure did. Just like today kids can be mean at times. The mean ones would say why are you so stupid, and not smart like your brothers.  It sure made me feel less than them. Looking back on it I was likely smarter than the kids that told me that I was stupid. 

Right now my hometown major league baseball team the Seattle Mariners is as hot as the weather. They have won 9 out of the last 11 games. They are eight games above 500 hundred, and in third place in their division. Only one other team the Detroit Tigers has a better record in the American League. The Mariners have not been a good team for the last ten years so most people are not in favor of them yet. If you are a true fan like me you are enjoying the ride.  The Mariners are a young team so I am sure they are not thinking of the past, and are building confidence with each game. The people were the same way when the Seahawks started winning as well.  I believe the Mariners learned a lot about winning from the Seahawks.  I am not sure how good they will be because they have really good pitching right now, however, they are weak on the hitting though they have scored a lot of runs in last two or three games. They really need a couple more good batters.

Also I enjoyed watching the World Cup between the USA and Belgium. I have to admit I am not a big fan of the sport; however, the World Cup is the highest level of the sport.  It is sad the USA lost the game though they played very well.  My lack of knowledge of the sport I see that luck has to do a lot with scoring goals in most levels of the sport, however, they seem to be unlucky a lot of the time when goals are not made. What I saw in this game was how the offense was looking to draw the goalie out of position to be able to score easier; however, sometimes the defense was very good along with some bad luck.  I don’t think the sport is very good to watch on television on most levels of the sport; however, watching in person would be exciting.  Last year I went, and watched my nephew Danny on his Club team play in a tournament in Springfield, Missouri. I had a really good time watching them all.


I would say most sports are best playing then watching in person before watching on television. I think every kids should get a shot at playing at a sport even those who are not very good. At some degree or another most of us have a competitive edge to us.  The most important thing to see if we will rise or fall in a sport; another importance is not take it so serious at a young age.  Of course, parents should not take it so serious either.  Let them play, and not think you are living a second childhood in them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment