Monday, July 14, 2014

The World Cup



I want to first congratulate all of you in Germany for winning the World Cup. Your team played so good, and you have waited since 1990 to win the World Cup again.

I have to admit I am not a big fan of footbaal which we call soccer here in the USA; however, the World Cup is different because they are the best players in the world.  As far as watching footbaal I believe it is the best in person. Like most fans I am sure playing the game is better than watching.

Last year I went back to St. Louis, Missouri see my nephew Danny graduate from high school. Added plus my brother Jack, and I drove along with Danny to Springfield, Missouri to see him play on his club team in a state tournament. His team did not win the tournament; however, I really enjoyed watching him, and his team play.

Our local Major League Soccer team last night (Sunday) the Seattle Sounders played one of their rivals the Portland Timbers, and beating them 2-0. It must have been really exciting not only beating a rival, but, there were over 64,000 fans attending the game. Like fans in around the world that are into footbaal they go crazy.

The main reason I am not into footbaal or soccer, it was not a big sport when I was growing up. I did have a few friends growing up who played the sport, but most kids did not play. We sometimes would play during physical education class, but, I generally was put on the defensive side which for me was disappointing since all the other sports I enjoyed the offensive side of the games. It wasn't only playing defensive the team I played on was always seemed to me to be on the offensive side of the field. If I was going to play defensive I at least wanted to hit the ball which I did not get the chance. Also, I felt disrespected playing defense because I thought I was being considered a poor player. I don’t think I was a bad player because I was never was given the chance to play offense. I believe it was more I was not liked. It was another part of childhood I did not like.

I am sure if I played today things would be much different. It would be nice to go out and hit the ball around. It is sad how kids can be labeled.

Again I want to congratulate the German team.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment