Monday, October 13, 2014

Remembering Halloween



Since it is coming up once again I am sure most people remember their years going out trick and treat on Halloween. I would say likely one of the high lights of your childhood.

I have to say though I do not remember much about my experiences; however, I do remember going door to door to all the neighborhood houses. A lot of the neighbors had young children as well though there were some older people as well. Some had known my grandfather for several years. More people were living in Gig Harbor full time; especially in my neighborhood prior to the 1950s a lot of people lived in Gig Harbor during the summer and weekends. This was the case of my father, grandparents, aunts, and uncles. My grandfather did not live full time in Gig Harbor until he retired. My dad’s family lived during the school year in Tacoma like many others did. The only ones living in Gig Harbor full time then were the local fishermen, retirees, and those who had businesses in Gig Harbor. It wasn't until the Tacoma Narrows Bridge was built in the 1940s; before that the main transportation to Gig Harbor was by ferry.

I do not really remember the customs that I wore for Halloween. I recently saw a picture of my brother Jack and me wearing cowboy outfits. I was likely around nine and he was six. It looked like we got them for Christmas; however, I would think we wore them for Halloween the next year. I am sure one year I went as the lone ranger. Also, I may have gone as batman or superman. Since I was a big baseball fan, and played little league I am sure I wore my baseball uniform at least once as well.

I know a lot of my classmates remember a lot more about their childhood than I do so I am sure they remember a lot more detail what they wore. In fact, they may even remember what I wore as well.

Speaking of my classmates most of them had children, and I am sure they remember what they wore for Halloween as well. A lot of them now are grandparents, and enjoying seeing their grandchildren dressing up for Halloween. I think kids up to probably ten years of age are really cute no matter what they wear for Halloween. Of course, now with everyone having cell phones a lot of pictures are being taken more than ever before. I am sure I will be seeing them in their glory through Facebook.

One thing that has changed about Halloween is that kids do not go door to door as much today. In fact where I live I haven’t seen any trick or treaters for several years. My apartment complex does not have many young kids, and in Gig Harbor parents can take their kids downtown to celebrate Halloween. Also, a lot more parties happen at Halloween now. The most important thing it does keep the kids safe. I am sure those that do trick or treat happens very close to their homes along with family and friends. One thing that has not changed is children still get their treats.


Whether you have small children or you are grandparents enjoy Halloween. We are coming into the best time of the year for all the holidays. 

No comments:

Post a Comment