Friday, November 28, 2014

Black Friday?



In the United States the day after Thanksgiving is called Black Friday. Many large retailers have opened up early on this day because it is the beginning of Christmas and Holiday shopping. Looking into the history of Black Friday I found that the city of Philadelphia in 1975 started calling it that because of the traffic jams in the city. Now we can see television ads telling us about the sales coming out.

I personally have not gone out shopping on Black Friday. One thing I do not want to get up so early, and I am not interested in getting large items that have the best sales. Black Friday is the largest selling day of the year. Now many retailers are opening on Thanksgiving evening if not earlier. Some of their employees are complaining because used to be able to be home with their families on Thanksgiving. The main importance to work on Thanksgiving is that you are getting paid time and a half or double time for the hours you are working. I used to work on Thanksgiving so no big deal to me; however, I was able to get home in time for dinner.

I understand other countries have adopted Black Friday as well. Of course, if you do not want to leave home you can order on-line as well. Personally I try not to order anything on line. If I did I would use either a gift card or a pre-paid card so no one could hack into my debit or credit card. I generally only buy things that I can afford now. These days when it comes to Christmas presents I usually buy gift cards because I do not really know what relatives need or want.

Another change I see is how large items like automobiles that used be slow sales during the holiday season also are discounting for Black Friday. Most sales for Black Friday go through at least the weekend. This coming Monday the on-line sales have what they call Cyber Monday. So if you are looking for deals on large items as well this is the good time of the year to do so. Personally I would only do so for something I really need and not for something that I would consider a want.

I recommend staying away from Black Friday. I believe good deals if not even better ones will be available closer to Christmas. I would only do Black Friday if it were items that I would need to ship, and see if free shipping is available.


Have a great weekend. If you do go out shopping good luck, and do not go crazy either. 

No comments:

Post a Comment