Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Happy Thanksgiving



I want to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving; even those of you who live outside of United States. Thanksgiving began when the Pilgrims came to America. They celebrated with the natives who lived nearby.

Thanksgiving though observed for all these years it actually did not become an official holiday until Abraham Lincoln became president. It is observed the last Thursday of every November.

I believe it is important that we are thankful for our lives along with our family and friends. Most people spend Thanksgiving with their family or friends depending on their location. Some travel a long distance to be with their families. It is nice to know my Brother Jack’s family will all be together for Thanksgiving; brings back a lot of very good memories.

Another great gesture is some people every year will go out and feed the hungry and those who are alone. The traditional dinner of Thanksgiving include turkey, mash potatoes, and gravy along with stuffing. Some people may substitute ham or beef for turkey. Of course, there are those who may go totally away from the traditional dinner and have something totally different. Some families have setup their own traditions.

I believe it is important that we are thankful everyday of our lives for what we have; however, I like the fact we have a day each year to set aside and be thankful.

Besides the dinner and gathering of family and friends there is football and basketball games on television. Many people use that as a tradition to spend time together as well. Others may spend time playing a board game or go outside and play around.

I know that there are those who are not so thankful this time of the year as well. Circumstances have occurred that they do not like. I know in Ferguson, Missouri and other cities around the country feel that justice has not been served. I feel bad that a young man Michael Brown lost his life, and his family and friends feel the shooting was not justified. I do not know all the details but the grand jury found the police officer justified in his actions. Whether true or false it is important for the family and friends to forgive and honor the life of Michael Brown. I believe it is important that we think before doing any actions. It is important to have true judgment. It is sad to know that people are still judged by the color of their skin. We are loved, and we must find a way to get along. I know I do not want to be judged by the way I look; however, some people especially young people need to think of what they are wearing. It is easy to be stereotyped though most do not want to be. I know personally I feel judged sometimes by just being ignored. I would like everyone to like me but I know that it is impossible.

I am very thankful for my life though if I had to write it myself I would have it different in some ways. I am blessed to live in a wonderful place with a wonderful family. Growing up things were not always good but I always knew I had family beside me. I know that not everyone is so lucky.


Besides being thankful, love each other and be grateful. If you are in a tough situation I pray that things will get better for you. Again Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment