Friday, January 23, 2015

Another Mild Winter



This year it is the third year in a row I think that here in Gig Harbor and the state of the Washington we have had a mild winter. The temperatures have primarily been in the 50s and into the 60s when normal is the 30s and 40s. We have had some days down in the 30s but very few that I know. Usually I can tell because I go walking each morning unless we have a lot of rain coming down. The times I have really felt it cold has been because of wind; it seems to be a bit more wind than normal.

I know that some people around here enjoy that the weather has been more mild; however, I do like it when we do get some snow. These last three years we have gotten snow once or twice during the winter, and we have only about a couple inches at the most. I like it when we get about six inches of snow; however, we have not gotten that much snow at one time in quite a while. I know that people around the northwest do not like to drive in the snow and ice. It is tough to drive because we have so many hills. Where I live it is pretty easy get to the highway; however, it is not true in many other places. If you are living in downtown Gig Harbor there is three hills to go up, and I have found the experience tough when it snows. Also, some people have driveways that are difficult to get out of. In fact, I would say they are quite an experience.

The main reason I like the snow it is so pretty around here when it happens. I really enjoyed when I went to work off of highway 18. I would exit off of Interstate 5 and go east on highway 18. Right there at the exit trees are on both sides and when it snows you really like being in a winter wonderland. I remember one year when we did get a good snow fall there was very few people on the road and I could enjoy the drive to work. Of course, we had a small crew of people because many would call in saying they could not make it to work. It was challenges get to work coming off of highway 18. In fact, once I had to take a back road because the main road off of highway 18 was closed.

Though we do not get a lot of snow the memories of the snowfalls are so good. This year the snowfall up at the mountains has been weak. The mountains have had more rain this year than the snow. I guess we can say maybe next year.


Everyone have yourself a wonderful weekend. If you have snow where you are enjoy it for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment