Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Nice Guys in Baseball


 

Today February 24 is when all the position players report for duty at spring training for the Seattle Mariners. Most of them have been there already working out. The catchers and pitchers reported last Friday. They need to have more time to get ready for the season. In fact, spring training is as long as it is because pitchers need more time. Anyway when I went to spring training two years ago I found that most of the baseball players are very nice guys.

I am not saying that baseball players are any nicer than say football or basketball players but it is my observation. It seems to me that football and basketball players get in more trouble off the field than baseball players. I expect that most of them are very nice as well. I find that even the baseball players that get in some trouble seem to be likeable.  They make themselves very accessible to their fans, and if they have the time give out autographs without a problem. I found this especially true during spring training. If you go to the ball park early even during the regular season they are very approachable.

I found when I was at spring training if they have the time they will talk with you for a few minutes as well as autographs depending how many fans are around. Generally this happens when you arrive early. Another good thing they will acknowledge you and waive to you if speak out their name while they are going from one field to another or coming out of the locker room. This is especially true if you treat them with respect and you are very friendly as well.

When the ball players are being interviewed by the media whether newspaper, radio and television they are friendly as well. I would say they know how important it is to be friendly to the media and the fans. I am saying this in general because there are a few here and there that are not so friendly. Hearing them in an interview gives you an idea what kind of person they are. Like most people there are some that are quiet and others that are talkative like me.

Another thing I like about the ball players is that most of them like joking around with each other. I guess you would have to if you spent so much time with other players. In other words you would go crazy otherwise. I know it is not easy to get to know players on a personal way but I like the fact they make so much of an effort to talk with their fans. I think we can learn a lot from them on how they interact with each other. This is especially true during spring training when some are competing for the same position and one will make it and the other not. It is an unusual profession because they are playing a boys game and most will not play very long and then move onto something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment