Monday, June 1, 2015

Early Riser?


My dad was known as an early riser. Also, I have been known as one as well. I am not sure whether I inherit it or just happened.

The thing is that growing up my bedroom was upstairs instead of where my siblings had theirs downstairs. It was a small room and I had no door either. I asked several times but no door materialized. I had a curtain that gave me a little privacy. So whenever my dad got up early I woke up early too. He was quiet but I still woke up anyway. Sometimes I would get up to spend time with dad or I lay in bed for a while.

The nice thing about dad getting up early is that breakfast was ready when everyone else got up. Yes dad was the one who made breakfast during the weekdays. He did sleep in on the weekends so it did help me out a little bit though I was still accustomed to getting up early. He loved my mother making either pancakes or waffles. Of course we had bacon as well. He made our lunches too.

When I worked customer service I took the early shift mainly because I knew that the traffic would be not be heavy, and I figured since I felt comfortable being up early did not hurt either. I was amazed though how many cars were on the road anyway. I am sure those other drivers were thinking the same way.

Being up early is not for everyone either. I found getting up early was harder during the winter when it was still dark outside. It is a lot easier to get up when the sun is coming up.

On Saturday May 30 I went to barbeque at a close friend’s home. He said that he was accustomed to getting up early. Another guy Kurt said that he gets up about 4 am. I call that really early; however, he lives out on Key Peninsula where the animals get up early. So feels fine getting up that early. It helps that he is able to sleep about six hours a night. It is the key of getting up early is how much sleep you need. If you need eight hours of sleep it means that you have go to bed early as well. Personally I enjoy the six hours instead except on the weekend where I can get in an extra couple hours.

I am not sure getting up early is a benefit but saying goes the early bird gets the worms. Of course, we do not need worms but getting the day off early is sort of nice especially when the sun comes up early.

I really have not checked things out to see whether getting up early or not is a healthy thing. Also, the amount of sleep helps one way or another. I am sure doctors would tell you that eight hours of sleep is the most benefit; however, I believe it still depends on the person. Some people need eight hours while others do not. I think if you are able to get in a nap during the afternoon would help but hard to do when you are working.

Older people seem to get up early but go to sleep early as well. I guess they need more sleep than younger adults but I would prefer getting up more like 7 am and going to bed about 10 pm. Again this would depend on the time of the year. When it does get darker early I would go to bed at 9 pm instead. Of course that is me.

I believe that eight hours of sleep is too much but six hours maybe not enough so seven hours would be the best for me. I want the least amount of sleep I can get because life is short anyway so why sleep a third of it away. That is what it would be sleeping eight hours a day. You have to feel alive to enjoy it anyway.

So if you are an early riser great if not great as well. Whatever works for you is what works for you. Just remember that if you do not get up early you may not get the worm.

No comments:

Post a Comment