Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Cooling Down


The weather this summer has been extremely hot this year in the northwest. Actually the weather all year has been unusual. I am not sure how much rainfall we have had so far in 2015 but I know it below what it normally is. I actually tried to find the info on line but found it hard to so. Instead I am just remembering what has been going on. I am sure the last time we had good amount of rain was in May or could have been April.

During the summer we have very little bit of rain so that is not unusual the thing is that the temperatures have been higher. On Sunday July 19 the temperature got as high as ninety-seven degrees on South Whidbey Island where I was at for the afternoon. Coming home in late afternoon the temperature was about the same in Seattle. We haven’t had a lot of days where the temperatures been in the 90s but above normal. A lot of June and most of July the temperatures have been in 80s. Something those of us that are natives don’t mind but the upper 90s another story.

When it comes to the 90s it is more common in central and eastern Washington. There temperatures are generally ten to fifteen degrees warmer than us in western Washington. So being 97 on Sunday it had to be around 110 degrees in the eastern half of the state. I can say no thank you please.

The best thing was the temperatures did go back down to more of the norm on Monday. All this week the temperatures will be in the mid-70s to low 80s. More my cup of tea for sure; it is more normal for here I still call it the cool down period. I am sure the temperatures will go back up again I would be more than happy if it stays this way. I would love a long cool down period.

Since we have not had a lot of rain over the last couple of months or so the grass is browner than usual. I can’t even remember the grass being brown very often at all. Most years people water their lawns to keep from turning brown but the lack of rain this year no one is doing as much watering the lawns. I am sure the cost involved also has something to do with as well.

I would really like it to see a real downpour for a day or evening or in the middle of the night. Whatever the case we can sure use the rain. I thought I would never say that but it is the case this year. Though I like it when the sun comes out let it rain please. Monday it looked like there was a possibility of rain but never happened. I would say most years the rain would have fallen on Monday; however, like I have said several times over this is not a usual year.

What I like about this week the temperatures being more the normal is that I can go out for my walk without feeling really hot. Regardless of the temperature I usually sweat a little anyway but not so much when it is cooler.

The positive side of higher temperatures is if you have a swimming pool it is in more use than normal. In the central and eastern part of Washington there are quite a few lakes so swimming in them is a must.

The negative side is with so little rain fall there are more brush fires in the area. Every-one must be careful when they are camping out; however, the brush fires can happen with lightning storms that frequently happen this time of the year. Central and eastern Washing-ton has forest fires most years so it is not any different this year.
Whether it is cool or hot temperatures I will still enjoy the sun and going around the area. If you ever come to Washington State you will find that you have come to paradise. So keep cool alright

No comments:

Post a Comment