Friday, July 24, 2015

Pressing On


I have to be honest I wasn’t sure what to title this writing so this is what I decided to pick.

These days’ people seem so much busier than when I was growing up. I am not sure have to do with technology or how people have evolved over the years.

My dad had his own business so he put a lot of hours at work; however, when he got home he wanted to relax and spend time with the family. It was important priority to him. Now there is more things to do today even around the house. You are either on the computer like I am right now, or your smart phone checking on any emails, texting, or watching videos.

When I was growing up there was no home computer, or smart phone. Last night in the small group of men I meet with twice a month one of them mentioned that one of his grandchildren was really puzzled, and wanted to know what he did without a smart phone or computer?. What did you do in the car without a phone? No talking or texting while driving?

This is why we are so busy in many accounts because everyone is distracted by all the technical gadgets we have now. I though life was grand while growing up. Of course, I had my personal issues with other kids in school, and trying be accepted but growing up in a smaller Gig Harbor I enjoyed in the most part.

I was able to do almost anything I wanted to do. If you saw my house you would think I was spoiled and you are probably right. When I wasn’t in school I would spend most of my time with best friend Gary or the other best friend Bob. Thinking about it I didn’t spend a lot of time with them both together; it was really one or the other.  Gary I spent more time with because he lived closer than Bob. Not by a very long distance but still closer. Usually one or the other would call me up to come over. When neither were around I spent the time with my brothers, and there other kids in the neighborhood too. Most of the time spent with them was playing little league baseball, or playing football at the park. My brothers we played tennis unless it was raining and we played cards and board games inside; sounds exciting enough for me.

When I went out I always told my parents where I was going I didn’t have to be tracked by some app. So what I am saying besides slowing down and smell the roses it is easy to be distracted away from the things that should be important to us. So this is where pressing on comes in on the scene. We must spend the time and energy on in everything that actually should be important to us like family and friends. Also, we all have a purpose and destiny in our lives; we should spend as much time doing those things than the time on computer and smart phone. The have a purpose and need as well but we can’t be distracted by them.

In so many ways I want to go back to the simple days; however, they seem to be gone now. There are other things that can distract us as well I get to them at another time as long as I am not distracted. LOL

Anyway everyone have a wonderful weekend, and press on to those things that can keep us smelling the roses. Use the technology in the manner that is useful and please don’t be so busy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment