Monday, July 27, 2015

Native Son


I have lived my whole life in Gig Harbor, Washington. I have to say most of it anyway. When I was twenty I spent six months living in Forks, Washington on the coast, and is now is known for the Twilight series. It was quite the six months because it was the first time I was on my own. After high school I spent two years going to Bates Vocational School taking radio broadcasting, and still living at home. I went to Forks to take a job at the local radio station. I did everything from disc jockey to doing the news. It was a good time though I knew no one when I arrived except those few others working at the station. I did meet a few people while living there but I came to Gig Harbor. Though I enjoyed the time there as I had said but it rained a lot in Forks. I had Wednesday’s off and it rained almost every Wednesday. There was not a whole lot to do in Forks. I wanted to be a sportscaster as long as I could remember but I never did take another radio job after leaving Forks though I did look into other opportunities that were in other small towns as well. It is what you do in radio unless you super talented. Though I knew a lot about sports I just didn’t have the talent to be a broadcaster. Maybe I should have tried being a sport’s writer instead. Of course, I am writing now with this blog and my sport blog called herbslookatsports. At least my dream came true though even for a little bit.

I know a lot of people enjoy spending their whole lives in the same place while other moves place to place. I don’t have an opinion which way is the best. It works well for some to stay in the same place for their whole lives while others really like being on the move. I believe most people because of their jobs. My brother has moved several times over the years and they have primarily been in him changes jobs. Actually his most recent move two years ago was that his wife took a new teaching job near where two of her siblings live so now they are near family. She was dissatisfied with her previous job; however, she couldn’t find another one where they lived. Now where they lived she got the job on the first try. I say it was meant to be; sort of jealous because it would be nice if they could have moved to Washington State to be closer to my mother and me.

I would like to travel or move in the next five years depending on circumstances and relationships. Though I love Gig Harbor and the people I am still more of a world person. I would love to travel and see this world of ours. I would like to write about the places I go. So if this does happen which is in my plans I hope to bring you all along on the ride.

The whole thing about being a native son is that sometimes I feel people still see me like I was when I was a kid. I know it weird especially when most of my friends and those who I spend time with did not know me as a kid. I do run into others who knew me as a kid but that doesn’t happen very often which I think is strange because Gig Harbor is still a small town though it has grown quite a bit since I was a kid. A lot of the kids I have grew up with have moved on to other places like my brother and sister but there are those who still live in the Gig Harbor area. Most of them I never see unless I run into them by chance. It actually happened last week at the grocery store I saw a childhood friend for the second time in six months. We had not seen each other for quite some time. He spends some of the year fishing up in Alaska, and he just returned back to Gig Harbor. Fishing was a big thing when I was a kid however the fleet is smaller now.

Though I know that I have purpose and a destiny to live my life out in Gig Harbor; however, I think to it is much bigger and better going out into the rest of the world. For many it maybe to stay in one place but for me it is making a difference in the whole world. I really enjoy writing because I feel that I am making a difference around the world; however, I want to travel to a lot of places. My encouragement to everyone still is to know your purpose, and living it where you are at whether in one place or many places. The affect you have in one community can help put to effect on many other communities. So keep on doing what you doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment