Thursday, October 1, 2015

Welcome to October


 I am sure we are all surprised that it is October already. The year seems to go by so fast, and the older we get the faster.

Now that summer is over and fall is here starts festivals, and parties along with Christmas shopping and all.

In Germany they have what is called Oktoberfest. It is great time to celebrate especially if you like beer, women, and dancing. I spent one year in Germany during October when my brother Jack was living in Frankfurt for a couple years. I had a good time enjoying the really great time of year. I am not really much of a beer drinker but I enjoyed it anyway. The beers were much larger than I was accustomed here in Western Washington so I drank mine slowly so I would not get drunk.

While I was in Germany that year I took the euro rail so I could see as much of Germany as possible. My first stop was Berlin which I spent a couple days in. It was exciting because the time was right after the wall came down so I was able to visit the site of the wall. I enjoyed reading about the history of the wall, and being able to go into East Berlin as well. On my way back to Frankfurt I stopped in Munich as well. They had a very good transportation system so able to get around really good. The highlight though was to go visit the Olympic Stadium. In my mind was imagining being there for the two Olympics. Just like Berlin it was a wonderful city to visit. Of course, most of all I enjoyed seeing where my brother, his wife, and two children at the time lived and spending time with them. I was in Germany for two weeks after having two weeks in England.

Here in Washington State there are a number of places that you can enjoy Oktoberfest at as well. The most well-known place is Leavenworth which looks very much German. I have never been there during Oktoberfest but I have in December before and during Christmas. It is really nice to see the snow come down and enjoy walking the streets in the snow. Usually I found myself going into shops for several minutes to get out of the snow. They have a lot of beautiful shops to visit, and great Germany food just like you are in Germany.

The first time I went to Leavenworth or family drove by car taking Interstate 90 east. It is not far from Wenatchee Rain Forest, and Snoqualmie Pass. It is a very nice drive there though you may have to watch for snow in the winter. The second time I went to Leavenworth a group of about twenty of us took the train which was very nice ride as well. Early December they set up Christmas lights. This second trip was when they did that, and I enjoyed so much because of the snow as well. I had never felt Christmas like that before.

As far as Oktoberfest Leavenworth has activities throughout the month of October with food, singing, and dancing so if you are in Washington State this month I recommend going. All you have to do is search Oktoberfest, and you will find a link to Leavenworth’s Oktoberfest site. Anything like Christmas in Leavenworth I am sure it will be a grand time. They bring in bands and dancing from around the country.

In Seattle and the rest of Western Washington there is Oktoberfest parties all over the place as well. So if you enjoy Oktoberfest or want to try it for the first time there is no problems find a place to go.

I will be looking forward to end of October as well since my sister will be coming to town the week of Halloween. I am sure we will be drinking several Pumpkin Latte’s during the week among other things.  Of course most of all October leads us into Thanksgiving and Christmas; time for shopping of presents for all the little ones.

Personally I try to watch what I eat this time of the year which is really not to easy. I would say it is the reason why we have the New Year’s resolution in January to exercise and lose the weight we put on in these three months. Wherever you are enjoy October to the fullest. Yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment