Monday, November 30, 2015

Good Stories


In this time it is hard to find really good stories. If you look on line or through the newspaper you will find some of those good stories. It really seems like the readership or viewing is better when the stories are about tragedy or something bad has happened. We all know those kind of stories are out there because so much tragedy happens whether close to us or in our lives itself. Even the weather when it goes bad makes the headlines. I find sometimes the weather is told in the fashion where it is a lot worse than it really is. Another area close to weather is traffic accidents where people either die or at the least takes people a lot longer get to work or at least their destination. Most of those accidents happen because of poor weather. At least here in the northwest we don’t have tornadoes or large snow storms like in the Midwest or on the East Coast. My brother told me last week that are high winds made the national news. I find it normal for November and of course a lot of rain makes the news as well. What really would make the news as far as the weather goes here would be a snow storm or an earthquake. We have neither of those very often anyway. Well I have to say we do have some earthquakes; however, most of the time they are very small so they only make the local news. It is amazing though we could get two or three inches of snow on one occasion and the local news will make it bigger than it should. I have to guess it helps with the ratings. Most people here though have trouble driving in snow even if it an inch or two on the ground. The truth is most people are bad drivers around here. The good news I am a good driver. I figure to put in the good with the bad at least.

November we have had a lot of rain along with the wind storms. The good news though the weather has been nice over the Thanksgiving weather though it has been cold into the 20s at night and mid 40s during the day. Yesterday though I volunteered to help the youth at my church in selling Christmas trees; I had a good time doing so except the cold weather. I was out doing my good deed for three hours, and got my hands and feet cold despite wearing gloves. I am going out to do my good deed again this Sunday and then next Saturday. I went out after my first day on doing my good deed by getting warmer socks and gloves. We did have an outdoor fire made to help us keep warm along with a propane heater for the ladies who take care of taking the money from the customers. The money of selling trees goes to the youth group and feeding the poor as well. It is a very good cause indeed.

Though good stories are hard to find I figure we can make our own good stories especially this time of the year since so many people are in need. The most important thing is to recognize the talents that we have, and use those to help others. Even if you don’t have a lot of talent you can go along side those who do. Every group that is out there this time of the year can use the help. If you can sing at least a simple tune at the very least find some of your friends and go out caroling. Older people in nursing homes would love to hear you sing. For one thing they do not get many visitors around the year so if you can go see them and give good cheer than you have made a good story in their lives. This is time of the year old St. Nick will remember for you are being good and not naughty. So be a good story in you. Happy Holidays!

2 comments:

  1. Sensationalism sells and I have to agree that a lot of stories are based around that. With a little digging we can find stories of substance, which help us grow. May your story forever inspire!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment. Always good to hear things positive.

    ReplyDelete