Saturday, January 16, 2016

Time Flies




We all have heard the sayings time flies when you’re having fun and older you get the faster time goes or something like that anyway. I have experienced that both of these sayings are very true.

I remember as a kid my favorite classes went by very fast while the ones I did not like so much just dragged on. In fact I have to say the days went by very slow in those days except the weekends of course.

Now time goes by very fast so the second saying is true too. It seems to me that last Saturday was just here and now here we are again. I am sure that next Saturday will come soon enough. Also, 2016 will go by faster than 2015 which was fast enough however I am going to enjoy every minute or make that second of each day. Of course, that means it will go even faster.

I remember being in high school where we talked about 2000 and how long way off it was. I knew how old I would be as well and it seemed so foreign in my mind. My brother Jack and I talked about that on the phone a few weeks ago. He said that when he was in elementary school he thought that he would not be alive in 2000. It is funny how we think about some things especially about time. Before 2000 he had four children and I am sure he did not think that would happen either.

Now it is 2016 and we are almost concluding two decades in this century. It sounds so unbelievable and 2000 seemed like it was there just the other day. One day we know where we were in this century was September 11, 2001. It was a day that chocked all of us Americans plus I am sure foreigners as well when the twin towers went down in New York City. A day none of us will ever forget. I feel so much for those families who lost loved ones on that dreadful day. It would be interesting to hear the stories now from the families that lost someone that day.

Not only do I measure time from one weekend to another and holidays as well I think about appointments I have made several months down the road. When those appointments come and go I just shake my head about the time; like I say though I will enjoy every moment.

In some tragic news I read on line of someone I went to school with. I am not sure what he died of but he is in the line of quite a few that I went to school with that have passed away over the last couple years or so. I only knew him for a short period of time because he did not arrive into the Gig Harbor area until he was fourteen and graduated at sixteen. I really enjoyed the short periods of time that I spent around him. He graduated the year before me though I found out that he is twelve days younger than me. Also, a classmate of his died about a week after him as well. She was a lifelong resident of Gig Harbor so I knew her well though I did not see her often after high school like so many. I graduated from high school with a couple of her cousins and she was a member of the original settlers of Gig Harbor who also were fishermen. Though I had not seen either of them for some time I will miss them dearly. I think of them both in my mind and how lucky I was to know them. I feel so sorry for their children and families. I am sure they both gave reflections to their loved ones. It really does remind us short time is along with how fast it goes by and how precious we should enjoy one another. Give a loved one or a friend a hug or a kiss today we do not know when or if we will see them again. Enjoy your weekend as time flies.


No comments:

Post a Comment