Saturday, February 20, 2016

Eagle Fly


 A couple days ago I was inspired by an old child friend T.L. Stokes who is a local poet along with doing some photography. I graduated with her older sister Paula who was my chemistry partner in our junior year of high school. They both had another older sister named Wendy. Both T.L. who I knew then as Terri and Paula were in choir with me. All three sisters were cheer leaders as well so you can see where my interest was too.

Anyway the three sisters grew up on Fox Island which is only few miles west of Gig Harbor. They have a younger brother Matt who I have never met however Paula told me a lot about during chemistry class.

 I saw a video the other day on line where T.L.  started talking about eagles and how she became interested in them when she saw a golden eagle on Fox Island near her home when she was eight years old. In fact so interested that she is in a group on line where they talk about eagles and she read a poem that she wrote about them as well. So I am sure you would find that video if you do a search on T.L. Stokes.

Growing up I have always been interested in birds of all kinds since my last name is Nightingale. I put water out in my front yard so birds can swim or drink from it. Primarily I get very small birds however I have seen robins or they could be orioles as well along with blue jays. Usually the small birds play in the water while the larger ones drink from it. In the winter time though I don’t get to see too many birds in the pool and I see birds while out walking as well.

I have always wanted to be an eagle if I were to be a bird. They fly high in the sky and they look down seeing us along with prey. On the water they look for a fish they can swoop down to get. They will look at smaller animals especially injured ones to swoop down to get as well. What a wonderful life to live for them.

If you are a bald eagle you have added protection since it is illegal to kill them. Since they represent the United States it shows how mighty strong they are. Over the years I have not seen many eagles. The last time I saw a bald eagle was up at Rose Lake in British Columbia where my cousin Christy lives. Actually on that trip I was able to see two bald eagles.

The bird I see most of all are sea gulls. We have a lot of them in Gig Harbor and they usually are in a flock. They make a terrible noise especially when there are many of them. I enjoy seeing them flying in formation though. Occasionally I will see one or two seagulls by themselves however that does not happen often. In Gig Harbor we see some Canadian Geese too. I guess they are considered birds right? I enjoy watching them however they can make a mess too. I remember them lying on our dock when I was a kid and we would have to clean up the miserable mess they made. Seeing Canadian Geese outweighed all the negatives things they bring with them.

Usually when I look up in the sky is to the sun, moon, stars along with airplanes and helicopters. Now I figure though I have to look more frequently to see if I can find an eagle. I may need to take a trip to Fox Island soon to see if I can find a golden eagle. Thank you T.L. so much for your inspiration. Birds are so wonderful to see and watch.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Herb. Nice to read your blog and thank you for commenting on my little video. The eagle I first saw on Fox Island was actually a bald eagle. Then a few years ago I watched a video about a young golden eagle named Storm, where he was seeing snow fall for the first time. I wrote a poem about it and that's what I read on the video. You could see bald eagles on Fox Island, and I'm sure around Gig Harbor too. There have bee a few reports of a single golden eagle spotted near Snoqualmie, WA. There are more goldens in Eastern Washington. So happy to see you write a blog. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete