Sunday, March 27, 2016

Happy Easter


I want to wish everyone a Happy Easter. I have written about Holy Week a couple times this week so I won’t get into the history of Easter. Many people I know though call it Resurrection Day instead. Either way I think it is an important day for all of us Christians.

I remember growing up in the Episcopal Church and I did not really understand the whole idea of being a Christian until I was in high school. I was baptized as a baby which is accustomed in the Episcopal Church however I don’t really believe in that anymore. I believe it is the person who is being baptized to make the decision themselves because they believe in Christ and a baby does not understand it. I do believe though the parents can dedicate their children to the Lord whether as a baby or an infant. As an adult I was baptized again because of my beliefs. I was baptized in a lake instead of at the church as accustomed in Episcopal Church. I don’t actually attend the Episcopal Church anymore on a regular basis. I do sometimes attend with my mother at Christmas, Lent and Easter. I now belong to a non-denomination church.

As a child I do remember going Easter egg hunting though the memories are somewhat vague. It’s probably because I didn’t do a very good job finding them. I did get at least a couple eggs so nothing loss anyway. I understand my brothers did not do much better than me. I am sure other kids did not do that well either. The Easter egg hunt always took place at the city park that I spent a lot of hours at growing up. In fact the park still has the Easter egg hunt still today. I am sure those I knew back then are now taking their grandchildren.  

It is a really good tradition to have though I am not really sure what eggs or the Easter Bunny has to do with Easter. I am sure if I did a search in google I would find the whole history of the tradition however I think I really will stay from that. I am sure most kids are like me where Easter egg hunting was over a short period of time. I am sure I got tired of it all. I haven’t been to a hunt for quite a few years. Maybe I will go sometime just to watch the little ones go around running and looking for the eggs.

Another tradition I don’t understand that well and I probably don’t care either at this point is how ham was introduced in the Easter dinner. I was asked on yesterday whether I was having ham by a friend and I said no. The major reason ham is not good for me. When I had my gall bladder taken out in 2000 I had a bad reaction to ham so I have stayed from it. I am sure you are all interested in me saying this too. Ha ha. Of course it is another tradition for Easter I don’t understand either. It is OK as well as the other traditions. Though many traditions seem silly they are harmless too.

One last thing which is silly to but I decided to mention it anyway on Saturday talking to my brother Jack on the phone that I do almost every week I said “Happy Easter Eve”. He said that he never heard that before. My response I never have either I just made it up. I took it from Christmas Eve of course.

So again everyone have a fantastic and Happy Easter to you and your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment