Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Positive Look at Life





For many of us we have to look at having a positive life. Things usually do not start out well for most people as children. It is not like in some of the movies.

The problem is we do not get to choose our families though I have to admit my family has turned out to be a very good one. I have been fortunate to come from a very stable family. It is not a perfect family however I would say it turned out perfect for me. Our parents loved us very much though they did not always say it. They showed love by example and treated my sister, my brothers and I in the manner we each needed. We did not have to worry about going unfed and got some things we liked to have. I was able to get a baseball glove and play little league baseball without objection. Also I was able to have a basketball hoop in the front yard too. Many evenings in late fall and winter when it did not rain I spent hours shooting baskets. I wasn’t a great player however I was decent and played on basketball team though I spent most of the time on the bench. Also, my best friend Gary and I would exchange baseball cards during the spring and summer when we were not playing baseball. We lived on the waterfront and we had several sailboats so we got to spend some time on the water. Dad was really into sailing and often was in races so we could go out with him on many occasions.

I know that some people come from families that are not as blessed as mine. It is hard to come from an abusive family or one of your parents is an alcoholic. What even makes it really hard is that you love them very much however you don’t get a positive look at life.

Growing up for me was not all positive though home life was real good. I had a hearing problem as a small child so I did not start hearing until I was about five years old. Actually I could hear to some degree but could not understand what others said and they could not hear me correctly either. I ended up going to a speech therapist which helped out very much. Kindergarten was not bad at all since it was private and it was my first experience of school; however, first grade though was another story being in public schools. I have to say elementary school especially was not much fun except recess. I was misunderstood by the teachers and I was sent out to the hallways on a regular basis for talking too much and loud. You see I was trying to make up for lost time not able to talk. My reading was not great either however my parents got me a subscription to Sports Illustrated so I would read. I actually did not catch up to my reading level until my sophomore year in high school.

I have to say most of the kids in school were pretty good I did have issues with some. Kids love to tease and there are a few like to bully so I had to deal with both of those. I have to say it is hard to have good self-esteem under those circumstances. I found it hard to let my parents know what was going on as well.

I have to say I do feel pretty good these days far as self-esteem however there are times I do go back to being a little boy thinking others don’t really care. I am sure that many adults still deal with the inner child within themselves. The important things I believe is if you have children continue showing them love much as possible. Let them know they have an important part to play in this world. This is important if you are a grandparent as well. We all need to have self-worth. This is where are purpose in life comes in. Remember to tell yourself that you have something great to offer especially when those voices come in that are contrary and make you not feel so good about yourself. Have a nice smile today! Good bye and many blessings to you.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment