Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Visiting Family


There are those who have family nearby while others like me whose family is across the country or in another country.

It is not easy for us that have distance away from our siblings. Depending on the timing we try to see each other once a year. This year my nephew Ian is getting married so I will be seeing both my sister and brother at the same time. I have to say a bit unusual since we haven’t been all together very often over the years. The last time I believe was three years ago when they both came to Gig Harbor. At least I think it was three years ago. We all know how time goes by so fast.

This week my sister Barb will be going to visit my brother Jack at his home. This will be the first time because Jack has only lived his current location two and half years. He previously lived in St. Louis, Missouri where we will be going for Ian’s wedding. Both Ian and his bride Helen grew up in St. Louis. They first met when they were ten years old. The romance didn’t start until high school and has been going strong ever since. Ian and Helen are now living in Seattle.

Jack living about a half an hour from our national capital of Washington D.C. you can see that Barb and he have an opportunity to see a lot. Jack’s two oldest children Leslie and Robby live in the area as well so Barb will have the chance to see them too. Also our sister-in-law Anne both her parents are close by along with her brother and one of her sisters. So Barb may have a chance to see them too.

Distance is not always the reason seeing your siblings or any relative very often. I have cousins that live not too far away and I don’t see them as often as I would like. I believe a lot of that has to do with the fact we are busy so much of the time. Our family on my father’s side we have a reunion every couple of years during the summer near Bellingham, Washington. Most of my second cousins leave in the area so makes perfect sense.

One of my first cousins Bronwen I see more often because she lives in Lakewood which is less than thirty minutes away from Gig Harbor. Her sister Jennifer just moved from Seattle to the Oregon coast so now have to make more of an effort to see her. I will make plans to go see her. I have a buddy that I grew up with in the area to so I look forward to seeing him and his wife too. Bronwen and Jennifer’s older sister Lorna lives east of Seattle so have to find the time to go see her. Actually when Barb was here last October we met up with Jennifer in Seattle before her move to Oregon and Lorna was supposed to be there too however she came down sick and was unable to make it. So we owe each other a date.

My first cousins on my mother’s side all live in British Columbia although Christy who is the youngest lives some time in Arizona so mother and I saw her and her husband David on their way there. Christy’s sister Susan lives in central British Columbia about forty-five minutes from her and their older brother Rob lives in eastern British Columbia. So go to see them it is a two day drive each way. It likely won’t be this year however I have plans to go see them next year.

Like I say and I am sure most of us agree there is nothing more important than family so take the opportunity to go see them. Like I said time does go by quickly. This is true whether they are far or close by it is important to see them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment