Saturday, June 11, 2016

Falling Down

Though I enjoy writing about purpose and destiny to encourage us all it is important to write about everyday life. Sometimes things happen that don’t expect and it is not always good either. The most important thing is to make it through all of it. This is where we can help each other out as well.
I am sure we all remember falling down numerous times as kids. This was part of being a kid that is for sure. We would do so even when our parents told us to stop running or playing around. I don’t remember any specific occurrences right now in regards to myself but I do know it happened. I do remember my brother Jack though was riding his bike once to the next neighborhood when he crashed his bike. I am not sure whether he was going to fast or not but he crashed on gravel. He was not a happy camper that is for sure. I don’t remember whether mom went and got him or he came home screaming bloody murder. Whichever the case he never crashed his bike again. So he learned his lesson for sure.
I have to say things do not get easier when you’re older. I have never got hurt much as an adult except a couple times playing tennis until recently. When my sister Barb visited last October after leaving her and mother to go shopping I went to drug store to pick up some of my prescriptions. I parked at the beginning of the row so there was a curb there. Well I wasn’t thinking or paying attention and fell over the curb into some dirt. I was hurt on my knees and my elbows. I went into the closest bathroom to see how damaged I was and then went to buy bandages where Barb and mom were after getting my subscriptions. They were still shopping so I went to the coffee shop we were to meet and went into their bathroom to apply the bandages.  After applying the bandages I saw they had not come to the coffee shop yet. It is right down a little bit to walk from the grocery store. So I decided go back to see how they were doing and they were almost completed so I stayed with them and then took the groceries to the car while they went to coffee shop. Went home after our time at coffee shop to heal my wounds and pride; I thought that I will never do this ever again.
Now on Friday I parked to go into a different grocery. I parked next to the curb by where the shopping carts are left. Anyway I saw someone I knew a short distance. I said hello with a loud voice to him. He had his wife and grandchildren with him. So he said hi to me and said to the grandchildren there is Herb. So a short conversion; anyway without thinking about it I stared walking to head for the grocery store. I walked and then fell over the curb. Not a pretty sight for sure and stayed down for a couple minutes. An older couple asks if I needed help to get up. I said no because I figured likely not strong enough to get me up unless I need help at the end. So I got up with pain on knees and elbows once again. I went into the store to their bathroom to see how bad it was. No bleeding but a little bruising for sure. Came back out of bathroom to get some first aid which an employee was able to help me; went back into the bathroom to apply a couple bandages. Also she gave me a pack of ice because my right elbow was feeling worse than when I fell.  I decided go to my doctor’s office since it was only a couple blocks away. I had to wait several minutes to see him and his nurses. I figured since I have problem with blood clotting it was a good idea to see them. The doctor checked my elbows and knees to be sure no additional damage. One of the nurses put on better bandages on right elbow and right arm. The left side was OK and sent me on my merry way. I went back to the grocery store to do what I was intended to do in the first place and let them know that I was OK. Also I had an hour to wait for picking mom up from playing bridge. I said to her when seeing her that I hope her bridge went better than my afternoon.
I know likely will not be my last fall. The older we get the more we are like when we were kids. Actually we will probably fall more later on in life. I have decided not to park next to a curb ever again. I hope to remember to do so. Ha ha! A good listen for all of us to learn and have yourself a great day; no bad experiences please!  

No comments:

Post a Comment