Thursday, June 30, 2016

Walking Early





Last weekend I decided I would start walking early in the morning at 6 am instead of 9 am like I had been doing. I have found that it is better though early because I have committed myself to the time than when I was going at 9. At the later time things come up where I can’t always walk while at 6 I am able to walk regardless of what is happening that day.

I am encouraging that people go walking for good exercise and 6 am is a great time to do so. Not a lot is going on at 6 am and another thing I see a lot of people in their seventies do not walk very well and I want to be a person that is able to walk fine when I become that age. Of course there is no guarantee that my legs and feet will be fine then but I want to increase the odds in my favor. I believe walking is better than either running or jogging. I believe running is OK if you can keep up the speed however over the long run you likely will not and you may have to start jogging or walking. I am no medicine expert but I have heard that jogging is hard on our knees so why not walk instead since I will have to do so at some point in life anyway.

I like walking to because I am able to see what is going around me especially in Gig Harbor where I can hear the birds chirp and see ducks in the harbor. I can view the homes and the flowers that are planted around. In the next few days I should have at least one walking partner and it is a lot easier to talk when you are walking. The down fall of walking is that I am not able to go as far the distance that I may or take longer to do so but the plan is to walk about an hour every morning.

I have found that at 6 am there are other people who are out at that time either walking or running. Actually more than I really expected to be at 6 a.m.  Wednesday morning I was able to talk to a mother with a young boy who was getting ready to run with her friend. I asked the little guy why mother would get you up so early. Her responses are you sure that he did not get me up early. We both laughed over her answer since she was probably right.

Most of all at 6 a.m. I find a lot of peace and quiet. Monday and Tuesday there was no wind like on Wednesday but still a good way to walk. The view of the harbor every morning is really nice as well. Looking over to the east side of the harbor I am able to see my old house and neighborhood. So this brings me joy and memories to. In my case I am used to getting up early in the morning. I do know that is not the case for everyone.  If you are one that has a hard time to get up at that time of day I recommend going for a walk around 5:30 or 6 pm after getting off work. If you are not working or go to work later maybe anytime between 7 and 9 would be better for you. In any case go out and walk as part of your everyday life. I am sure you will have a better day especially when you are in your seventies! God bless!


No comments:

Post a Comment