Thursday, August 4, 2016

Another Quiet Morning

                                          View of one of the Marina's in Gig Harbor


Went out for my daily walk on Wednesday where it was another quiet morning. I actually went out a little bit later around 8 am where people were on their way to work or in some cases working already. For instance the city workers were out at the parks and the landscapers were cutting grass along with scrubs.

At the same I could hear and see the seagulls flying around the harbor. You see I was walking along the waterfront of Gig Harbor. Also I saw the Canadian geese taking a nice landing into the bay. I think this was the first time I had seen this happen; always great to be able to see wildlife doing their thing.

I was thinking while I was walking that there are so many small towns especially in Washington State where you can see animals frequently. I have seen deer on the waterfront while I have been walking. Deer are actually quite comfortable around humans in the surrounding area. Most of the islands like Fox and Vashon have a lot of deer along with bears. Actually there are more sightings of bears in the Gig Harbor area than anywhere else in Western Washington. This is another reason I like living here is that people can work in a big city like Seattle or Tacoma and then go home to enjoy animals. Most people have dogs and cats but you can see so much more. I leave out water every morning for birds to come and drink. Sometimes the neighbor dogs and cats take their turn drinking as well.

While I was out walking I was thinking about last year when my brother and his family were visiting. We went out kayaking around the harbor and went to the Hood Canal. The drive to the Hood Canal took about an hour and a half. We went to visit Cushman Dam where our grandfather was the chief engineer when it was built. My nephews and niece had never been to Cushman Dam though they had been to Olympic Mountains in the past which is near the Hood Canal. The Olympic Mountains my brothers and I spent time hiking during junior and senior high school years while we were in boy scouts. This brings memories to me for August because all the fifty mile hikes we were on took place. We went hiking for about eight days. I enjoyed times around the camp fires at night telling stories and playing cards. The food though was not always good. Also I had to rest my feet that had some blisters. The healing was fast so I was okay when school started in September.

Now thinking about it the worst thing about August had to look at going back to school. I know some kids like school but I was not one of them. Some days while hiking we had to deal with rain as well however it made sense since the Olympics were in a rain forest.

I enjoy driving through Hood Canal and getting to the Olympics because there are so many small towns. Most of them are half the size or more than Gig Harbor. Also you can stop and have lunch or dinner at a lovely small restaurant. I enjoy stopping to have ice cream too. Though I enjoy living in probably the best small town in America there is something to see in other small towns. I don’t have anything against large cities but   I prefer living in a small town. I am sure many feel different than me but these towns each have a personality of their own though I do know large cities do too. No matter what the size of your home town or city you live in there is nothing like home. Wherever I go it is nice to enjoy a quiet morning.  


No comments:

Post a Comment