Monday, September 5, 2016

Fun and Being Healthy





I know that fun and being healthy does not seem to fit together. I am sure you just saw the pun in what I just wrote. The older we get being healthy is not as fun especially being told by doctors that we need to lose weight.

Remember as kids we had fun and we were healthy at the same time. The difference then was that we did not consider what we were doing as being healthy we just had fun. I believe we should get back to that time of our lives. The problem is we are used to doing things a certain way and changes are not easy. I do see people our age or older out walking or riding a bike so I know it can be done. Another key though is how we eat as well.

I know when I was a kid our family did not go out eating very often. Most of the time we ate at home and when we did go out the time was spent at picnics where we generally ate the same foods. Here in Gig Harbor we only had a couple of restaurants and the family ate out a couple times a years. The only other times eating out was when we went on family outing. Most of those outings were visiting cousins in Bellingham, Seattle and Vancouver. We went to Eugene Oregon sometimes where our sister was going to college. In those days we did not drink much pop and we did have ice cream. We were able to burn the fat off going out having fun.

Now there are quite a few restaurants to visit along with coffee shops. Most of the time you have to be careful if you want to eat healthy food in restaurants and coffee shops; most people I do not see them eating healthy food in those places. Since people go to those places on a regular basis it is not a good sign especially when you see they are packing a few extra pounds.

Right now I have to admit that I am packing some extra pounds but the plan is to lose them. The reason is that I want to look better well as feel better. I know it is not an easy task especially going to restaurants and coffee shops. In restaurants I try to eat smaller portions and healthier food which is not easy to do for sure. The main reason I am in a restaurant is spending time with friends. Eating food for me is a secondary thing to do. Most of the time it is in the morning so I eat a couple eggs along with toasts; I stay away from omelets and pancakes. Not easy to do when my friends are eating them. I find though it is OK to do so. I go out walking every morning as well. Most of the time early; I do some stretching beforehand along with doing some pushups; also not an easy thing to do because I have to get myself back up again.

This all doesn’t sound like fun at all but I believe we can find a way to do so. If we were able to do so when we were kids why not now; I see so many unhealthy people around whether younger, the same age or older than me. I am not sure how long that I will be around but I want to feel good instead of spending time in the hospital and getting out being miserable. My mother will be ninety-six years old in two weeks. If you met her you would be surprised that she is that old. She does some exercises in the apartment on a regular basis. She does some walking when she has the chance as well. Several times a week she plays bridge so it keeps her mind going along with spending time with others; she doesn’t eat a lot though her doctors tell her she should. Her plan is to eat protein at the very least. Maybe we all should follow her footsteps. I know another pun. Since we all have a purpose and destiny in this life we need to find a way to stick around and it begins with being healthy. Having fun with it is a good idea too. Anyway right now I will get ready to go for my walk. Until next time have a smile with your fun time.


No comments:

Post a Comment