Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Wow It’s September

 



 I am sure we can this like every year where has 2016 gone. We are now down to the last four months of the year. September means the kids are back in school and everyone will be thinking about the memories of last school year and the summer. Also new memories will be getting started as well. In fact this is the time of the year that the important holiday’s start happening.

Just think of it less than two months we have Halloween and then less than another 30 days is Thanksgiving and then the year ends with Christmas. Yes I know that I am not being politically correct which is fine with me.

I am sure everyone remembers the times they were dressed along with their children and seeing now their grandchildren dressing up for Halloween. In the last half of September and early October my brother Jack and I would go around the neighborhood selling candy for Halloween. Also I remember going around selling magazine subscriptions when I was in junior high. I don’t remember what month that happened just that I did it. It was tough competition because there were a lot of kids in our neighborhood so to find adults that had no children were hard to find. Now the kids seem to hang outside the grocery stores to sell Girl Scout cookies and the boys are doing popcorn.

The only thing that really makes the time go by slow is the rain. Yes another thing about September is the beginning of rain once again. This morning planning my time for walking I see it is raining outside. It is supposed to be happening here and there not a consistent rain so I should find the time to walk at some point. Of course I could use an umbrella but we generally don’t use them around these parts. Most people here who actually use umbrella are walking some distance or they are not natives. Those of us who were born here do not use umbrellas very often. My brother Jack though where he lives he does use an umbrella some however they use umbrellas more frequently plus usually he is in a suit and tie which is understandable. So when it rains hard I either run or walk very far. I make sure though that I am not parked very far from my destination.

Last week when we went to St. Louis for my nephew Ian’s wedding we did take an umbrella just in case we needed it. Actually we could have used the umbrella during the wedding ceremony since it did rain for a little while but we left it in our hotel room. You see some habits are hard to break. Even when you know it is going to rain. I do use a cover over my head when it rains. I have a rain jacket with a cover. I wear a cap outside most of the time whether it is sunny or raining. In fact I have four caps so I wear a different one each day. I know it seems silly but I like a change.

September the weather is nice a good part of the month but we have to be prepared for the rain as well. Usually the rainfall doesn’t start coming the closer to Halloween. I remember so many days’ playing cards when it rained. My friend Gary had a tree house so we spent time in it when it rained as well. We still liked to play in the rain. In the northwest in the fall if you played only when it did not rain then we would not play often. In Gary’s tree house we spent hours going over our baseball cards. Gary had a bigger selection of cards so I could exchange my duplicates for his very handily. In the fall we would get some football cards too but not as big of a selection. For some reason I enjoyed baseball cards more than football cards. Anyway the memories of this time of the year; I believe we cherish them very much as time passes on faster and faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment