Thursday, December 15, 2016

Being Offended


This year on social media people feel so offended by what others have said whether it had to do with the Presidential Election here in USA or now Christmas.

The truth is if you are not in the majority you are likely going to offend someone. Actually if you are part of the majority you will offend others as well. This is how the world operates now.

Recently here in Gig Harbor my hometown a group that says they are against religion ask the city council to have a nativity scene removed that had been going on for a number of years. It came up this year because Skansie Park where the nativity scene was being shown in years past is being reconstructed so can’t be used this year so was moved to Donkey Creek Park. So the nativity scene was put under where the Christmas tree was put. What really makes this a controversy the group said they would sue the city of Gig Harbor if it remained there but the group is not local. In fact they are out of state.

The group I understand are made up of primarily atheists who I don’t know for sure but being told. I pointed out on social media that if it offends someone they don’t have to go see it. I sort of wonder why a Christmas tree doesn’t offend the same people as the nativity scene. Of course you could be on the side that the tree is a pagan tradition.  Anyway it makes me shake my head.

Someone noted that only 22% of the people really want the nativity scene so why have it then. I am not sure where they got their facts but a lot goes on in our country where those who are even less than 22% of the population get what they want. I am not saying that is bad but that is reality. This is why I am saying that someone is being offended and I don’t think it is a bad thing. I know it may sound weird to hear that from me but my point we offend people all the time whether we know it or not. Most of the time people won’t say a word about being offended and if they do take it as learning experience and move on. I am sure there will be those who offended by what I just said to. That is what life is like in our world today.

I am sure most of us want to be liked by everyone but the truth it isn’t going to happen. All we can do is be the best we can be. Encourage and love people. Not everyone is going to accept that either.

  I know the hardest is when family and friends that you are close to feel offended by what you believe and say sometimes. I know that there are those in my family don’t believe the same way I do however I still care and love them anyway. So if you get offended let the other party know that you don’t appreciate it but move on as well. We will be more happy about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment