Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Let It Snow




I have to say that I was disappointed on Monday because everyone in the Seattle area seemed to have gotten snow except us in Gig Harbor. They didn’t get a lot of snow however that was what I would have liked to seen. Most places had less than an inch of snow but the kids were excited to see the snow though the parents probably were not.

On Thursday the weather forecasters say we will get anywhere from one inch to six inches of snow all depending where you are at. Although the six inches sounds good I will take the one inch if it means we get some snow.

Last week talking with a friend of mine Kathy that we had a possibility of snow coming she told me in the thirteen years that she has lived here it has only snowed a significant amount one time. So she doesn’t believe we really have winters around here. So I conceited that we have three and half seasons here in Western Washington. They did say about a month ago that we would have more cold temperatures than normal year along with more precipitation however they did use the word snow at all so we will have to see.

I remember three occasions we had around a foot of snow in one dropping. When I was in fifth grade the last day of school before Christmas Break we were watching the movie “Heidi” starring Shirley Temple when we asked to get on the school bus to go home because snow was falling and they expected about a foot of snow. I believe it was the only time I was disappointed in leaving school early. I did see the whole movie on television later on so I did find out what happened. Of course when I arrived home the disappointed was gone since my brothers and I were able to play in the snow.

Another occasion was when I was nineteen years old and it snowed on the day after Christmas. It was a pretty amount of snow though I am not sure if it reached a foot. I was going to Technical School at the time so school was out however I was in the radio broadcasting class so I had to go in to put the radio station on the air. I had trouble getting out of our drive way however I did make it in though I was a few minutes late.

I do remember a third case where I was working for my father where we were in nearby Port Orchard when we had to leave around noon because the snow was coming down pretty good that day and we had to go up a very high hill. I was driving a van so we made it up the hill unlike many others who had trouble.

The hills are the reason that most people in the area don’t really want to have snow falling. It is hard to drive in many places even with a little snow though ice is more the problem. Fortunately where I live there is no hill so I can get out pretty easy and I am close to the highway as well. The grocery stores are close to the highway for most of them so I can get to them pretty easily. The major problem is going into downtown Gig Harbor because the main roads are on hills so even if you can get down it is harder to get back up again. I have driven in snow in Minnesota and Quebec so I have more experience than most around here. The problem I have found that most people drive no more than twenty-five miles an hour which is a problem if you are going up a hill. I give myself plenty of room between me and the other driver so I don’t slide on the road. Of course there is still no guarantee I will be successful but a better chance and making it on most occasions.

Anyway I hope that I will get a chance to throw at least one snow ball on Thursday if not I do hope the chance does come sometime this winter. Anyway enjoy  your winter whether snow or not.


No comments:

Post a Comment