Sunday, December 11, 2016

Talking On the Phone


Although I keep up to date with family via email and social media like most people these days it is nice to be able to talk on the phone the old fashioned way. I enjoy hearing their voices.

Every Saturday unless something comes up my brother Jack and I talk on the phone. He isn’t on social media though we do email important things like pictures. What is nice about the phone is the personal way of communication. It is good to talk and joke on the phone. Hear the laughter out of each other. Also we can talk more about personal things as well. When we talk he generally is out on errands or walking the dog while I am at the coffee shop or making my daily walk.

This Saturday I got the privilege of talking with my sister Barb as well. She actually talked with our mother for several minutes before the phone was handed over to me. We talked about how things were going and plans for the upcoming year. She has been busy at work however it is now slowing down for a little while anyway. She is going to take the week between Christmas and New Year’s off. She probably is going to spend the time around her house. Her two sons will be around for Christmas. They are both keeping busy as well.

Barb works in a law office as a paralegal. She has been doing that for more than twenty years. She started with the firm as a secretary and then worked her way up to be a paralegal. She just got off a case which she didn’t mention what had happened but it was time consuming. Her firm specializes in patens and copy writes. She really enjoys the work.

I asked her how much longer she will stay at it because she is at retirement age. She told me that the plan is to retire at the end of 2017. She has plans to move from Quebec. She has lived there a long time and really enjoys it. I wish she lived a bit closer but that is how it goes. At least when she retires when she will now visit it will be for a little bit longer I hope. One of these days I will make the journey to her home as well. It has been a long time since my last visit. She has a very nice home and the area is very nice too. It is somewhat like Gig Harbor where it is a small town however is close to the big city. She works in Ottawa, Ontario the capital of Canada. She usually rides the bus to work though she does have a car. Her son Ken lives in Montreal so she drives there when she visits him. Her other son Connor lives in Ottawa so he is more convenient. Of course we all know that we don’t necessarily see family very often that is close to us as well.

The holiday season is a good time of the year to hear from family and those who are nearby or travel a distance we are able to see. I hope that you are able to see as much family as you can this season. Oh yes don’t forget to talk with them the old fashion way on the phone. God bless you all and happy holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment