Thursday, February 16, 2017

Getting Old


I have heard from many of the elderly saying to me never to get old. Unfortunately if we live long enough it is going to happen.

I do notice that I am getting older though I don’t consider myself old as of yet. I am now in the category of being a senior citizen however that is still different than elderly.  I am not sure what defines elderly but I would say most likely someone who is in their eighties or nineties or above.

That is the category my mother is in as she is ninety-six. If you saw her you probably would not think that she is her age instead more likely in eighties. Her skin is where she doesn’t have any wrinkles to speak of. Her mind is very sharp as well though she does forget somethings but who of us doesn’t.

She plays a lot of bridge at least twice a week and reads a lot. So she keeps her mind in order. Her social life is indeed busy for anyone no matter how old you are. I think that is what keeps her going. She just lost another friend in her nineties which I can imagine is tough but she keeps moving on.

Mother doesn’t walk to fast however she at least keeps moving on.  She uses a cane all the time. She does have a walker but doesn’t use it very often. The only time she uses the walker is when she goes on trips where needs to walk some distance.

When mother is asked by someone how her day is she replies that she woke up this morning so that is a good sign. I have to agree with her on that one.

I go walking almost every day depending whether it is raining or not. Even on those days it does rain I still get into a little walking because of grocery shopping or taking mother to bridge or one of her appointments. I feel it is important to walk some distance because I want to be able to walk at least well as my mother. I am Ok with using a cane but not thrilled with a walker. Although she is good at it most of the time I still have remind her once in a while to stand up straight. Often I see the elderly not standing straight up very often. I am sure some can’t because of their health but others may not realize what they are doing. If you have an elderly parent I would make sure that they stand up straight when possible.

The most important thing I believe no matter what shape you are in when you become elderly that you still have a purpose in life. You have to tell the younger people that you have knowledge and wisdom to impart to them. With your grand and great grandchildren talk to them as often as you can. This is even true when you live some distance from them.

Though not easy because I feel some aches and pains sometimes embrace the life of being older and use all you have to help others. We don’t know how long we will be around at all but make the best of everyday. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment