Thursday, February 2, 2017

Groundhog’s Day

                                           
                                                                    Hello Fellas



Hello and welcome to February. I am sure everyone has their own stories and beliefs about Groundhog’s Day.

Personally I don’t take the day to seriously though I am sure there are those who do. I have never researched to see whether six more weeks of winter happens with the groundhog stays in his burrow. I am sure that it has happened on occasion. I am just kidding since it is just folklore. I am sure many people hope he comes out so spring will happen especially if it has been a very cold winter.

Anyway in our family Groundhogs Day has always been an interesting day because my dad was born on this day. So I have to say happy birthday day we do miss you and wish you were still here. He died in June 1993 while visiting relatives in France of a heart attack.

What I remember most was how exciting he was to go on the trip. He really wasn’t into traveling much before a trip he and my mother took to Germany and England three years before to visit my brother Jack, his wife and the two little children they had at the time. They now have four children. Before that trip he was just content to spend time with family and going on sailing trips in his boat but that trip opened his eyes to new adventures.

Before the trip he called his brother and two sisters to tell them how exciting he was looking forward to going to France. The last time any of them talked with him. It was unusual to because he usually never called someone on the phone. Also he told me how much he loved me to and how proud he was of me. Another thing he didn’t do too often. He did show love but did not express it in words a lot.

My brothers and I thought it was a bit crazy that he was born on Groundhogs Day. Not really sure why but as kids it was fascinating all three of us. One thing for sure I have never forgotten when his birthday is. So I salute dad and wish him a wonderful birthday where he is right now. I think of you every single day since you left us.

My mother and I have decided to go out for Chinese dinner to celebrate his birthday. We have a very nice one in Gig Harbor not far from where we live. Often we go there on either my birthday or my mother’s or both so this time we are going on dad’s birthday to think our memories of him.

Another thing I am going to look in the paper to see if the Groundhog movie with Bill Murray is playing on television. It has been a while since I have seen it. What a funny and wonderful movie to watch.

So I now end here wishing everyone a great Groundhog’s Day especially them.


No comments:

Post a Comment