Sunday, March 26, 2017

Being Healthy


The older we get the more we have to consider our health. In the last five years I have come down with congestive heart failure and blood clotting. I am not here to make people feel bad about getting older but we must do something to stay healthy. I currently take about eight pills a day for those things that will keep me feeling better. Also I am starting to do stretch exercises that I should have done when I was younger.

Another area for all of us to do is watch our weight. I know that I want to change my diet even more than I have. Not an easy task I have to say as well. There are so many temptations when it comes to eating. Much more than when I was a child that is for sure. We had no fast food stores in Gig Harbor and now we have at least half a dozen such places. I am working to eat less food as well as continuing to walk every day.

If you have young children or grandchild I would not only recommend that they spend as much time outside to get their exercise but you are out there with them as well. It is not like we have to do a lot of exercise but a half to an hour each day would be good for us all. Also when it does come to eating to cut down on desserts and other unhealthy foods; it doesn’t mean that you have to stop eating them all together however to do so less often and in smaller portions. What I try to do is when I buy a hamburger and fries to split it up. Other words I don’t eat it all in one serving. I save the remaining for later on in the day or for the next day. Not easy to do at all though. It is still tempting to eat all of it. All I know is that I have to persevere and that my eating habits will continue to improve. Depending on your weight it is good to stay where you are at if you are not over weight and if you are to lose the weight over a period of time. I see people who lose weight however they gain it back because they haven’t maintained their eating habits. I have heard that it is OK to eat smaller helpings more often in a day too. Buy some fruit like a banana or orange to have when you would eat a milkshake instead.

I know that our families will appreciate us improving our health and we will be able to do the things we are meant to do. We will be able to spend more hours doing what we are called to do in this life. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment