Saturday, May 6, 2017

A Small World


We all have used the saying “What a small world” when meeting or seeing someone that we have known or related to someone we know. Well this happened yesterday for my mother and I.

My mother asked me to take her to someplace that she could have her nails done. I have seen a place that is nearby the coffee shop I go to a lot. I heard they had a good reputation for doing nails so I took her there to have them done.  I sat next to a woman who was getting her nails done. I was on the right of her while my sat next to her on the left. Mother ended up mentioning that she was ninety-six years old. The woman said to the young woman doing her nails “isn’t she amazing to be ninety-six years old”. The young woman replied “yes”.

The woman and I talked for several minutes about various things including the storm from the night before. Eventually in our talking she realized that I grew up in Gig Harbor. I answered her question that I did graduate from Peninsula High School. She told me that she went to Wilson High School in Tacoma.  I said that is funny because my mother taught French and German at Wilson. She asked me what our last name is. I told her it is Nightingale. She responded with excitement that she had my mother for French. She turned to my mother saying “Mrs. Nightingale” and my mother said “yes” I had you for French was what was next out of the mouth of the woman. Oh yes by the way her name is Chris. Also she was on the swim team at Wilson. My mother was the swim coach as well.  Chris then said “I have to text message Debbie my best friend who took French and swam as well. She will be surprised that I met you. Also tell some others that had you for French as well.”  Chris finished up her nails and said she was going. I replied “a very small world we live in”. She said “yes indeed.” She looked back to my mother and said “I hope we see each other here again real soon”.

We can never plan anything like that. It was our destiny to meet and saying once again what a small world we live in.

No comments:

Post a Comment