Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Independence



I am sure you have figured a theme for the last few days because this being a holiday weekend celebrating USA’s 241st anniversary of its independence.

There is something strong about being a person that has independence. I know many parts of the world people don’t have the same privilege that we have here in the USA. I believe being independent does take responsibility however there is a negative side as well.

In my family we are all very strongly independent which leads to do what we want which can be bad if you are unable to take responsibility for your actions. I am not sure how many generations in my family it has been that way but it is the only way that I know for sure.

Being independent means that I don’t necessarily need to have dependency on others. Also it is easy to take things for granted along with the fact that you are entitled to almost everything.  For example the protesting that happens in the United States on days like May 1st (we call May day) the protestors often do damage to stores and businesses in the areas they are protesting. It doesn’t matter what they are protesting about they feel entitled to do so. I don’t mind protestors who do it in a timely manner and don’t do damage; also that they have a purpose to their protesting however many protestors don’t have a purpose. They will put a label on their protesting but do they really care for what they are protesting. I say not. I am sure there are those who disagree with me which is everyone’s right to do so but that is how I see it.

Growing up in Gig Harbor being a small town it was easy to do what I wanted. Of course now it is harder because of safety not knowing about dangerous people being out on the roads. On the walking trails that I frequently walk on there have been walkers who have been assaulted. In fact it was reported a couple weeks ago it happened to a man. Fortunately they were able to catch the man that did the assaulting and arrest him. So though I am able to do what I want I have to keep eyes and ears open so something like that doesn’t happen to me.

I know to having independence allows me to feel selfish in ways that I wouldn’t be if I had more dependence on others. So I do feel that though independence has some drawbacks in the end it is better than the alternative where others continually tell you what to do and you have to obey them. I am not talking about parents when growing up. There is wisdom in being obedient to your parents; most of all knowing right from wrong.

Enjoy your independence however important to rely on others too. Remember being independent doesn’t mean that you are entitled to everything and that freedom came at a cost. Happy 4th July to everyone whether an American or living in a foreign land.

 

 



 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment