Friday, September 29, 2017

Seeing New




This week walking the waterfront of Gig Harbor made me feel like I was seeing new for the first time though I know it isn’t so at least in part.

This week the temperatures reached the eighties here and that is the first time ever at the end of September.  In fact so much that is going to rain today and the temperatures will be in the sixties. Sort of like old home week.

Anyway on Thursday it was so bright out that when I was walking the waterfront I looked up on the hills and I saw houses that I felt like I had never seen before or it had been a while anyway. This is what I mean by saying new.

On Wednesday walking further down on the waterfront in an area I spent a lot of my time as a child I saw a tree where the top branches were over the whole road. I thought wow how long has that been going on. I figured it has to be that way for a while but it felt new to me. I have walked there several times this year including the summer. Being so bright out though I was probably paying more attention than I have in other times; couple minutes later looking the other side of the road I was looking at some property. I thought this looks different as well like I had seen it for the first time. I believe that some landscapers had done work on that land. I thought maybe a couple trees were taken down or they had removed some brush. Most likely they removed brush because by city code property like that the trees can’t be taken down. I looked there for a couple minutes just wondering what was new or different about that land and whether they are planning to build a home there.

On Thursday though I did see something I know that I had never seen before. Looking in front of me there were a dozen Canadian geese that were walking across the street. Walking a little further there were another dozen Canadian geese on the sidewalk so I walked right where they were. I wished them a good morning and they honked back at me in their native tongue and then they crossed the street as well. It was about seven-thirty in the morning so not a lot of traffic on the waterfront but no cars came either direction until the last geese crossed the road. I figured they must be looking to more food to eat. When I returned to the same spot about half an hour later they were grazing across the street.

This is what so great about going for walks because often I don’t see things like this when I am driving. Keep your eyes open to see what is new in front of you or something old that reminds you of the past or feels new for the first time. Have yourself a wonderful weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment