Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Disappointment




When it comes to life one thing we know for sure we will be disappointed quite a few times for sure. It can be with people or circumstances going on in our lives.

This week I was disappointed to some degree because of a post that I saw on social media. One of my old friends from childhood had no problem with the large housing developments happening in my home town of Gig Harbor. Another old friend feels we need development to progress as a town. The true disappointment for me believed that is how they felt about all the development in the area. Being long time residences as well I thought they would be upset with what is going on.

The first friend believes that anyone that anyone who wants to be here should have the right to be here. I agree with that but do what extent. It is the developers who don’t even live here that disturb me the most. I feel they were not building these large condominiums and living units these people wouldn’t come. What makes me upset to is that the cost of housing is going up a lot every year. Unless you have large bank account how are you going to afford to live and stay here? Other words the middle and lower class are being moved out.

In north Gig Harbor they are building homes for young families all right next to each other that you can shake your neighbor’s hand with one step. If one of the houses catches on fire there goes them all. Also the senior housing for those over fifty-five which I qualify for are expensive. Not for your average Joe and Mary. There is a down payment of at least three hundred thousand dollars and then a monthly charge like rent on top of that. So it goes for those that are rich or at least have sold their homes. I know a lady friend who has moved in one of those places primarily because of her health. Neither of her sons live  in the area and wants to be able to have nursing care when needed so she sold her nice home that she has had for many years.

What disappoints me the most about these developments is all the clear cutting of trees.  A couple years ago a young man was killed while driving through the development and was hit by one of the few trees that had been still there. With other trees still there it wouldn’t have happened. He left behind a wife and children. She is now suing the developer and the city for allowing it.

Another disappointment with this all is that the city set up codes many years ago for safeguards against such developments however the current city council and mayor are ignoring these codes. Very shameful in my mind anyway; all these developments have been going on for the last ten years and if it continues like it has living here will be so much harder with traffic. Within the city limits there isn’t a lot more area to grow. There is still plenty in the outskirts.

Gig Harbor has an election for the mayor and city council next week I hope that the majority that are there right now are voted out. This will speak high volume to those in charge. The problem is though three or four times amount of people live outside the city limits just like I do.

Well I am glad that I can vent here a little. I know everyone has a story to tell about disappointments whether it has to do with housing, politics or many other issues happening. Anyway have a good day and I know that we will still make it even if the world tomorrow looks different than today. Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment