Tuesday, November 14, 2017

The Windy City





We know that Chicago is known as the windy city. I haven’t been there other than a stay over at O’Hare airport but I do know the reputation.

Monday night Seattle and all the areas in western Washington had a stormy time. Actually it started in the morning when I went out for my walk. Later on in the day the wind was blowing really hard and the rain came down. In fact I had a hard time walking from my car with the wind. I had to hold onto to the cap at the same time as walking. My mother and I went out for dinner and that was a challenge as well. When we left the restaurant I had to make a right turn because if I had turned left I would have had to drive through a small river.

When I got home I was so glad to see that the electricity was on. Many places in the area had lost power. In fact the power company reported that over twelve thousand people in our area had lost their power and they were working at restoring it.

I remember over the years we have a lot of wind storms. They do happen often in November. I don’t remember the year but I do remember that we had a Thanksgiving where we had no power for a while though it did come back on so we could have dinner. Some of the people were not so lucky. In fact my brother Dick was visiting our sister Barbara in Vancouver British Columbia where they had no dinner along with any power. I have to say Dick was not a happy camper.

There was a year when I was small so I don’t remember it at all however on Columbus Day there was a large storm. It still may have been the worst storm we have had. Not only was the power knocked out one of our trees by the road hit the power line and caught on fire. The tree itself had very little left of it. Everyday seeing the little tree I was reminded of the Columbus Day storm.

Monday night many trees went down and I saw on line that someone lost their life with the tree smashing into their car. I wouldn’t be surprised when I go out for my walk this morning as long as it is not raining and windy I will see some down trees. We have to remember to wither the storm when they come into our lives. Find our way to a safe harbor that we can dwell in knowing the time will pass.

We usually only have one bad storm of the year so this could have been it. I guess we will see won’t we. While I was walking from the car and before that actually I was thinking about the poor people trying to get home during rush hour. It had to be a mess and taking a lot of time in the process along with finding out that you may not have power when you got home. May you have peace during those storms in your life. Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment