Saturday, December 16, 2017

Travel Washington State





Since I am one that enjoys being around people and to encourage them as well I want to travel as much as I can. This includes the area I live in.

Although I would love to travel around the world and see most of it I have to be realistic that it is probably less expensive to see the area I live in. I hope to do so that I can share with others as well here on the blog.

Washington State is a beautiful place to live though this time of the year can be difficult because of the rain. I wish we had more snow where I live in Gig Harbor however we do have both the Cascades and the Olympic Mountains. We are located about half way between them and that is probably why we don’t get a lot of snow. That is only my guess though. So if you come for a visit in the winter you must go see either the Cascades or the Olympics. I can see Mt. Rainier almost every day from where I live. It is the largest mountain in the Cascades and the second in the USA.

The other mountains within the Cascades is Mt. Baker which is north of Seattle near Bellingham and close to the Canadian Border. Going south there is Mt. Saint Helens where there was a volcano eruption on May 18 1980 and Mt. Adams. Both of them are not far from Vancouver Washington. In Oregon there is Mt. Hood not far from Portland and a must see place to go is Crater Lake. The Cascades go into Northern California where you can visit Mt. Shasta and Lassen Peak.  Just traveling along to see the sites of the Cascades in itself is great and could take several days to do so.

The Olympic Mountains is not as large a range as the Cascades it is only located in Washington state. It is a wonderful place to visit as well though. You can get to the Olympics on highway 101 that travels in part along the Washington coast as well. So you can stop and view the Pacific Ocean in a number of places.  Within the Olympic Mountains is Hurricane Ridge which you get to from Port Angeles, the Hoh River, Lake Quinault and then there is Mt. Olympus, Mt. Constance and the Brothers. The Brothers I can actually view from Highway 16 in the opposite direction of Mt. Rainier in the Cascades. If you are an avid hiker the Olympics are a great place to spend times hiking. When I was in high school I hiked on three fifty mile hikes while in Boy Scouts.

So there is a lot to see both south and north of Seattle well as west and east; More to come to post in the future and enjoy your travels wherever you go.


No comments:

Post a Comment